Author Topic: Logs  (Read 2125 times)

Offline tinyjames

• iron
Logs
« on: December 09, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
I have been given some wood logs but they are all cut with a 12" diameter and only about 4" tall what can I use these for or are they all cut the wrong way and just fire wood

can't insert image?

James
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:34:32 PM by tinyjames »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Logs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »
You could try turning a shallow end grain bowl. If you turn it thin you might get away without it cracking but no guarantees!

Offline tinyjames

• iron
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
Paul like a Platter

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 07:35:56 PM »
Not really no, just like a shallow bowl :)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
divide one of your discs into segments with the pithe at the point then make a small natural edge bowl from each segment... in the spirit of the late Bert Marsh. Ive tried no end of times to emulate his work but no way can I find the elegance of line that he seemed to get every time.
Brian

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:32:02 PM »
Not worth the effort, you will spend time and effort and not be happy with what they make. Only good for making shavings or firewood.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:49:48 AM »
divide one of your discs into segments with the pithe at the point then make a small natural edge bowl from each segment... in the spirit of the late Bert Marsh. Ive tried no end of times to emulate his work but no way can I find the elegance of line that he seemed to get every time.
Brian

I've done this before with logs that were cut too thin for anything else but they were a bit more than the 4" we're talking about here.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »
Have you thought of doing decorative work instead with them? Biggest problem is likely to be them splitting frpo  the edge toward the centre but they can still be used to make decorative pieces.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
If you do anything with them, do it fast. They will already have started to crack and check.

Turn them quick, turn them thin to a finished thickness and be prepared for them to warp.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:33:44 PM »
I have been given some wood logs but they are all cut with a 12" diameter and only about 4" tall what can I use these for or are they all cut the wrong way and just fire wood

What's the wood James? This is important to know as some woods warp more than others.  If the wood is Ash, which from the photos might be a possibility, then the warping during seasoning is not as intense as in for example Beech and Oak.  But as has already been said you need to act fast to rough turn them as soon as you can or else purchase some Chestnut End Seal to seal the exposed end grain surfaces and retard moisture loss to give you more time to rough turn them.

Tim

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 12:30:01 PM »
There is a plethora of things that can be made from 4" long blanks. Little boxes, eggs, pears, apples (and other fruit), needle cases and so on. I would cut them into square blanks (of different sizes) and give that a go.

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Tiny James I would cut a 4 x 4 Spindle blank which incorporates the centre of the tree, turn these into a Pot and finish.

Leave them in a warm place and see what happens,I have done this with both Oak and Ash and end up with what I call Wonky Pots which are very popular or if it all goes pear shape you will have Decorative Firewood.

Richard 

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 07:56:28 PM »
There is a plethora of things that can be made from 4" long blanks. Little boxes, eggs, pears, apples (and other fruit), needle cases and so on. I would cut them into square blanks (of different sizes) and give that a go.

Good idea!  ;)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »
Sell them a table centre pices for weddings etc  ;D
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »
Sell them a table centre pices for weddings etc  ;D

You jest but I did an order for 25 of tbese for that purpose last year LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities