Author Topic: Hi from a newbie.  (Read 910 times)

Offline Kiwibloke

• iron
Hi from a newbie.
« on: December 05, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
Hi all, just got the go-ahead (from the wife) to build a workshop at the end of the garden, not starting until mid-Feb next year but I'm already excited, A lathe is one of the first machines I want to get, I'm looking at the AT460WL or the AT508WL from Axminster, I'm not sure whether to future proof and go for the 508 or settle for the 460 and buy more tools, I'm going with Axminster because I've heard good things about them, plus they have a showroom not too far away and I will be getting a few tools and would like to get them all from the one place. I'm just going to be turning bowls and platters and the like for family and friends, maybe sell a few, we'll see.

Thanks

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Hi from a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 02:22:53 PM »
Hi Mr Bloke

Welcome to the AWGB forum

Re lour lathe supplier choice Axminster , most if not all of the lathes are from the far east re branded into Axminster colours
Lots of options about and if you buy a good used lathe you get double the quality for half the price

Do lots of research before committing  :)

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
Re: Hi from a newbie.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
Hi all, just got the go-ahead (from the wife) to build a workshop at the end of the garden, not starting until mid-Feb next year but I'm already excited, A lathe is one of the first machines I want to get, I'm looking at the AT460WL or the AT508WL from Axminster, I'm not sure whether to future proof and go for the 508 or settle for the 460 and buy more tools, I'm going with Axminster because I've heard good things about them, plus they have a showroom not too far away and I will be getting a few tools and would like to get them all from the one place. I'm just going to be turning bowls and platters and the like for family and friends, maybe sell a few, we'll see.

Thanks

I have had what is now the At406 for a good few years, and very happy with it. It is a good powerful lathe, and has taken all of the abuse I can throw at it without problem. I guess it will come down to whether you want the extra depth over the bed. I find the 15 inches more than adequate. There is also a good warranty on these lathes, which I haven't needed to use.

This machine has been perfect for me, but if you can go an play with one. As an aside Axminster use these machines in there classrooms.

Regards
John