Author Topic: Wood ID PLEASE  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Wood ID PLEASE
« on: November 30, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
These logs were harvested whilst helping to clear the grounds of a country house.  I think they are Robinia (False Acacia, Black Locust) but would be most grateful for confirmation or otherwise.

Update 1st December, better cross-section photograph added

Cheers
Tim
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:40:58 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Wood ID PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »

Hi Tim,
            I would also think it is Robinia I have had quite a bit of this off a friend I found it turned very nice and had some very nice grain features and it didn't seem to split while stored.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 01:50:10 PM »

Hi Tim,
            I would also think it is Robinia I have had quite a bit of this off a friend I found it turned very nice and had some very nice grain features and it didn't seem to split while stored.

Regards John

Many thanks John - sounds promising  :)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »

Hi Tim,
           If you have quite a large amount  I would seal the ends. Regards John
John Smith

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks John. Yes I do that routinely using EndSeal which I have found to be a very effective treatment for that

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 05:09:02 PM »
that's not Robinia.

do you have any leaves?

i'm thinking Cotinus spp. smoke tree.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
Sadly by the time I got to see the logs any vegetation had been stripped off and mixed with the remains of other trees.

Thanks for the definite ruling out of Robinia which is unexpected and very intriguing.  Will look up Cotinus which is not a genus I have come across before....

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 08:01:31 PM »

Hi Seventhdevil,
                        I would not doubt what you are saying your knowledge about wood and trees is second to none could you  put up a photo of Cotinus because as I said earlier I have used Robininia and what Bill was showing looked exactly like that.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »

Hi Seventhdevil,
                        I would not doubt what you are saying your knowledge about wood and trees is second to none could you  put up a photo of Cotinus because as I said earlier I have used Robininia and what Bill was showing looked exactly like that.

Regards John
....there's some excellent images here..... http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/smoketree.htm

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:13:52 PM »
Sadly by the time I got to see the logs any vegetation had been stripped off and mixed with the remains of other trees.

Thanks for the definite ruling out of Robinia which is unexpected and very intriguing.  Will look up Cotinus which is not a genus I have come across before....

Tim the log you have there has a spongy soft pith which your nail will easily gouge out but robinia is rock hard all the way.

i'm not 100% sure it is cotinus as it's been a long time since i turned it and to be honest the sapwood was much brighter.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 08:13:26 AM »
Dare I make another suggestion ? The bark looks very similar to judas tree (cercis silliquastrum) I have turned. The size of the logs would be quite typical too. Also have seen the discolouration which appears to run through the sapwood. There is also a close relative of cercis with a similar bark whose name cannot be brought to mind at the moment, there is one growing near to me.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 08:24:37 AM »
Stirred the brain cell, Katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) is the one I could not remember. Have seen it worked by another but have not worked it myself. Looks similar to the photographs.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »

Tim the log you have there has a spongy soft pith which your nail will easily gouge out but robinia is rock hard all the way.

i'm not 100% sure it is cotinus as it's been a long time since i turned it and to be honest the sapwood was much brighter.

Your'e absolutely right about the pith Steve, it's very soft.  Thanks also to John P, but I'm not convinced it's Katsura or Judas tree.  Will post a photo of a moistened fine sanded end-grain sample later today.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
Tim, do you have a black light???

if you can get hold of one see if the wood fluoresces under it.

starting to think it's Pistachia chinensis.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
Many thanks for your expertise Steve.  Certainly looks like the most likely option.

Cheers

Tim :)