Author Topic: M39x4 Spindle  (Read 937 times)

Offline Parrot62

• iron
M39x4 Spindle
« on: August 23, 2020, 07:17:26 AM »
Hi,

I am new to the forum, just bought my first Wood lathe, (Old like me)  and started to upgrade it.
My spindle size is M39x4 It seems this is a very uncommon size!

Can anyone help me find an adapter, or chuck that I can fit to this lathe.
My lathe has a 3jaw chuck but I am looking for a 4jaw chuck fit for doing bowls safely or a spindle adapter.

Best regards,
Robert

Offline John

• bronze
Re: M39x4 Spindle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »
Hello Robert
Type M39X4 into your search engine
I have just done this and there is information about adaptors etc
.John
John English

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
What lathe is it? 

I would be inclined to either go to the lathe manufacturer to see what chuck options there are. OR go to a machine shop and have an adaptor made to convert it to m33 x 3.5. Which opens up lots of options.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 08:43:04 AM »
The mention of a 3 jaw chuck leads me to wonder if this is actually a metal lathe. If that is the case the jaws are likely to be rather skinny, compared to a woody chuck, but, given you allow plenty of wood for it to grip you should be able to turn a bowl with it. Alternatively mount a piece of scrap in the chuck and proceed using old school methods of friction drives. Bowls were turned successfully for centuries before the chuck was invented!
All the best with it
Brian

Offline Parrot62

• iron
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:08:47 AM »
Hi,

Many thanks for the advice received so far. I have been searching options on google for a few weeks yet, but not with a concrete solution.

1. I have a couple of enquires for a custom spindle adapter M39 to M33 this would then give me a wide range of options on chucks.
2. I found a M39 backplate from Shars but their 4jaw chuck (metal working type) doesn’t have wood type jaws as an option. I have asked them if it is possible to replace them with 3rd party ones.
3. My preferred is the versachuck, it accepts the backplate i found (might need some machining) but it is out of stock at Toolpost so I’m searching for a 2nd hand one. The versachuck is true to its name, its very versatile with lots of accessories.
4. Another great solution is Oneway, a great chuck. Lots of accessories. I have asked them if they can do a custom adapter.

Many open enquires, non concrete as yet.

My lathe is old, no manufacturer label visible, solid and way too heavy for me to move. it has a 14” swing. The 3 jaw chuck is limiting me, although I have done quite a few bowls and boxes I’ve had quite a few of them come flying off.
It’s my first lathe so I wasn’t really clued up on what to look out for.

Cheers,
Robert

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
I have noticed a few post on here and elsewhere looking for second hand Versachuck parts, as they are unavailable, principally jaws and carriers, it would be enough to make me cautious of buying into the system as the future is uncertain.

If it is that big and heavy I am pretty sure that the headstock bearings would take the extra 1½" needed to put an M33 adaptor on it. only problem with that is it will need to be put on and off to use the Morse Taper if it has one.

As an idea, IF it has an MT3 you could possibly get the thread adapter machined with an MT2 that will permanently fit to the lathe giving a more standard thread and a more standard MT as well, though you are approaching fancy and potentially expensive engineering then.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Parrot62

• iron
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
I sadly agree about the versachuck, they pretty much said that they had no restock date and suggest I look for other solutions.

Fortunately Oneway have offered to cut me an adapter for M39x4 so I’m looking forward to using the superb Stronghold Chuck, my lathe has 17inch spam so I’ll be able to use its capabilities.
Great support from Oneway, a well tooled engineering company and great products.