Author Topic: Eucalyptus  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Eucalyptus
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:05:46 AM »
Hi all,

What's Eucalyptus like for turning?

I've an opportunity with a tree that was planted as a sapling from a garden centre in the UK so I'm assuming it's European Eucalyptus?  From write-ups I've read about it, mainly it's good to turn but also very liable to heavy splitting / cracking sorter than seal the ends and store I would need to rough it out very soon after felling.

At a guess the tree is about 35-40ft tall, 60inch girth at the base and is being felled very soon so there's a decent amount of wood there.

I'll need to decide what if any is worth having, i.e. the trunk, the trunk and also the branch wood maybe 8 inches diameter upwards, or none of it so your combined knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Eucalyptus
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »

Lovely to turn, have tissues handy as it makes your nose run.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »
Every piece I have turned has twisted as I turn it Really really wet and warpslike you wouldn';t believe.That's the one you find in gardens in the UK. Austraian stuff is great. As gfar as I am aware there are only the two types commin to the  UK but I personally wouldn't bother with either. 

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »
Yes to the above. Turns well, the workshop smells great for a couple of days ! Warps and stains like crazy, often moving before the piece can be taken off of the machine. The grain can be a bit bland. The pieces I have made have not sold particularly well so, on balance, great for making shavings rather than finished pieces.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 06:02:58 PM »
Personally I wouldn't bother. The wood is very bland and not a particularly nice colour either. Add in all the warping and cracking, and unless you're mainly out to make some shavings, it's not worth the bother.

Having said that, it makes excellent firewood. Burns hot and long, with a nice smell. But you'd have to dry it first.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »
Hi Martin, Bodrighywood, John and fuzzyturns,

Thanks for coming back promptly. There's one positive, two negative and one pos and neg.

Maybe I should go with the majority  ;)  but then maybe I'll have a little to try it out.

Thanks again.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 04:13:34 PM »
I made a hat from Awfuliptus. It moved and twisted and split in a most unusual way but, my word, its a talking point. if you go ahead make sure you store it under water until you are ready for it. best advice.... make something informal and fun rather than heirloom material and then next time someone asks this question you will be able to join me in advising them to give it a swerve.
Have fun
Brian

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
Thanks Brian H  ;)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
Someone once told me there are a couple of hundred different types of eucalyptus, some being better than others for turning. Most of it starts cracking as soon as the tree hits the ground!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 04:16:51 AM »
Someone once told me there are a couple of hundred different types of eucalyptus, some being better than others for turning. Most of it starts cracking as soon as the tree hits the ground!

This is true, out of the 300+ species I a he found maybe 20-30 are usable. But if your keen to try, then remove the pith asap coat all over with your end grain sealer. Then find the coolest spot you can and store it there, for  me its the back of the garage on the concrete floor. No  sun no wind or draughts, dark and maybe store in a cardboard box. Check it weekly for the first couple of months as by  then it will  have indicated  how well its going. Oh and good luck :)

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
Thanks Paul and Hughie.

I took a dozen or so 12” diameter pieces from the mid trunk section, halved them through the pith and sealed all the cut faces about two hours after the tree was felled.  Fingers crossed as they looked nice but time will tell. 

Thanks for everyone’s comments.