Author Topic: Holly storing  (Read 1161 times)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
Holly storing
« on: June 19, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »
Got an offer of some fresh cut holly. How should I approach storing it? I know it cracks at any and every opportunity. My last lot told me this!!
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Holly storing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »
My last batch was planked into 2" boards sealed and put in stick in an outside covered wood store, about 60% is useable. I think it is just the nature of holly!
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »
Have just had excellent results coating with Endseal. MUCH better than coating with PVA (which I did with some of it to compare).

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
Should I leave it in log form or split them? I do not want to plank it but want bowl blanks.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 08:25:41 PM »
if you want bowls from it then rough turn the lot immediately and then completely seal the blanks for a couple of years...

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 08:29:23 PM »
Should I leave it in log form or split them? I do not want to plank it but want bowl blanks.
For bowls I would convert them as soon as possible (eliminating the pith) and immediately rough turn the resulting blanks. Give each rough turned bowl 3 coats of Endseal and allow to dry slowly.

Weigh the turnings on digital scales say every fortnight until a constant weight indicates they have reached their equilibrium moisture content (EMC). The loss of weight will be very roughly between 30% to 45% and should take no more than about 6-10 months to dry (depending on size). The bowls will warp like crazy but with luck shouldn't crack. They can then be remounted on the lathe for finishing.

Have some photos if it would help?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:25:19 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 02:46:21 AM »
You could just turn it green and thin and let it move, which it will do a lot of!

If you rough turn bowls, leave them thicker than you would for other woods because of the amount of movement.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »
Follow Steve's advice. Avoid knots as much as you can, they are just trouble with Holly. Allow plenty of room for warping, as they will warp like there's no tomorrow. And don't be surprised if you only get about 50-60% of usable bowls in the end, that's not a bad rate for Holly.