Author Topic: 11" x 2" spalted Beech dish  (Read 3510 times)

woody

11" x 2" spalted Beech dish
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
I was given this piece of Spalted Beech because it had some quite large splits on it but 1/2" tube of CA and some saw dust and coal dust this is what I got out of it well worth the extra effort well it was to me

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: 11" x 2" spalted Beech dish
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »
Good Morning Woody,What a super Bowl the Spalting is fantastic they say you learn something every day, never heard of Coal dust being used
                             before.I like the shape as well.Regards John   
John Smith

woody

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
Good Morning Woody,What a super Bowl the Spalting is fantastic they say you learn something every day, never heard of Coal dust being used
                             before.I like the shape as well.Regards John   
Morning John here is a photo of it being used with epoxy resin on a larger scale

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
I would almost be a shame to eat my morning porridge out of something so beautiful.

Coal dust and resin, I've seen figures and things made from it of course but never thought of it as an aid for woodturning. And it does blend in with the spalting so well.

Of course it's not so readily available as it once was. If I ever need to remember this idea it might be a delve into the Barbeque charcoal bag.

Thanks for posting and thanks for the idea.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
I would almost be a shame to eat my morning porridge out of something so beautiful.

Coal dust and resin, I've seen figures and things made from it of course but never thought of it as an aid for woodturning. And it does blend in with the spalting so well.

Of course it's not so readily available as it once was. If I ever need to remember this idea it might be a delve into the Barbeque charcoal bag.

Thanks for posting and thanks for the idea.

Now that's a good idea why didn't I think of that I will next time though as you say coal isn't as available nowadays

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
Hi Woody ,
              very nice indeed, 'course we couldn't do that here in the south as we can't afford the coal in the first place,(actally it never gets cold enough to need it ;D)
Regards
John
BHT