Author Topic: FACEBOOK  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
FACEBOOK
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »
Hi all - help required. My woodturning club, like many is made up of a lot of older members, some of whom are wary of Facebook and Instagram. However in these troubled times those of us who do use Facebook have formed a distinctive group, some of who post on a regular basis and others who just watch and comment. It seems to me that those who do not use Facebook are now missing out, no regular club meeting and the training, banter element thereof. We do not have a website so there is no opportunity to interact though that.

I now have the task of a; trying to get more members to join those on Facebook and b: writing the required documentation to go with our constitution to ensure that the use of Facebook by members does not go against the spirit of the club.

If anyone has any of their own club guidance that could be shared I would be most grateful.

Dave. Chair Dorset Woodturners Association

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: FACEBOOK
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:10:17 AM »
I’d be interested to see how you get on with this Dave. I’m a member of several Woodturning groups on FB and think it’s very handy. Sadly a couple of my wood turning friends are frightened of FB for a variety of reasons. I would have suggested my own WT club start a FB page but I’m not confident take up would make it worthwhile. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
    I am a member of a group and we have weekly meetings via Zoom conferencing it is a free service for up to 100 people talking and chatting together for up to 40 minutes. Also the benefit if the member has a camera you can see each other, very easy to set up the meeting as the Host and then just email all the members a link to join in.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
i'm still in my 30's and i was no face booker till a few years ago but i find it very useful for promoting my business and the social side of it has been an add on for me.

these days i just seem to spend my time correcting people on their wood ID though....

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »
I started a page for the Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club, when we had to close due to COVID19. So far we have had just four people using it, and I send out several emals advising the members that we have this to keep in touch until we can restart.
Ron

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 10:30:04 PM »
One option would be to set up a forum similar to this one for your club members. They don't need to sign up to any social media, you control who has access and can even limit it only to club members. the software is free and not too difficult to set up. That would probably work best alongside a website but again, they can be set up very cheaply as long as you have someone with the skills.

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
Another option could be a WhatsApp group  this is what I do with a few turners I know, we like it because it’s private with non of the hassles associated with social media & uploading photos of work is easy.