Author Topic: Having fun with cherry  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Having fun with cherry
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:24:20 AM »
Not completed yet.

Thought I would just have fun Yesterday and nearly got carried away watching the nice long shaving flying off. This is from a Cherry tree I took down last year turned wet. And then wet sanded with lemon oil the workshop does smell nice now but the downside I now need to go and clean up after my coffee. No finish yet will see what happens overnight 4mm thickness all over even the bottom to give it at least half a chance.
Well, this morning went out to the shed and it is still in one piece no cracks still it will be left a few days to see if it moves or even crack you know what cherry can be like.

And yes I am watching you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Having fun with cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »
Snap. LOL. Turned a couple lof very similar pots from a cherry log a few days ago. Left in the conservatory to dry out and reach whatever shape they choose. One has split already so probably get sown up or stapled. Lovely wood but very prone to moving and splitting.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Snap. LOL. Turned a couple lof very similar pots from a cherry log a few days ago. Left in the conservatory to dry out and reach whatever shape they choose. One has split already so probably get sown up or stapled. Lovely wood but very prone to moving and splitting.

Pete

If this fails I still have the rest of the tree to turn left it in one large lump including the root ball saving that for later. Cherry wood in this state as you know needs turning in one session.

Still not split but still early days ;D ;D ;D Oh well back to emptying all my workshop vacs and chipp collectors, having a day of deep clean

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »
Cherry doesn't fail, it just completes the artwork for you... as you said sometimes while it is still on the lathe ;D but it smells so good
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »
Well as of 5 minutes ago the cherry vase has moved a little and a very small split appeared in the bottom but does not go all the way through.
I did expect it to be worse than this considering that it is Cherry and was still very wet as well including the pith in the piece.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »
Give it time LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:18:05 PM »
Give it time LOL.

Pete

That is why I am doing nothing to it for a while just leave it to do its own thing. It could end as a design opportunity or a total failure just have to wait and see

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 03:39:18 PM »
When I turn green branch wood, I leave the tenon on and put a jubilee clip (band clamp) around it and ensure daily that it is still tight, doing it up a little as necessary. This for me seems to prevent cracking or splits.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »
When I turn green branch wood, I leave the tenon on and put a jubilee clip (band clamp) around it and ensure daily that it is still tight, doing it up a little as necessary. This for me seems to prevent cracking or splits.

I turned this to finish but find that leaving a tenon on encourages it to split because of the difference in thickness. Not tried the jubilee clip idea as it is nice to allow the piece to move.