Author Topic: puzzles  (Read 1156 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
puzzles
« on: April 25, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »
Here is something different!  A few wooden turned puzzles that may amuse people in present circumstances.  The ideas come from club friends and/or childhood memories.  These are currently with the teenage sons of a neighbour for an independent assessment.

They are (from the top in the picture):-

Lucas/Hanoi etc towers - move the disks from rod to rod to make a similar pile on another rod, one at a time, no disk ever to be on top of a smaller disk. With 5 disks this takes 31 moves (2^n - 1) but the mythical Hanoi version with 64 disks cannot be done in the age of the universe!  The usual versions have the rods in a row but we are turners after all and circular is fine - I have stained the rods to distinguish them. Computer coders note the solution is 'recursive' in that each stage includes repeating the solution to the previous stage.

(Tippee top as previously shown here)

Ball-in-cup trick - the ball is lightly retained by a concealed magnet in the cup base - so it will stay if gently turned over but a tap will drop it, so the cup can be lifted off.  The basis for a lot of tricks!  Supplied also with an identical but non-magnetic ball to sow further confusion!.

Misslle-in-silo puzzle.  The ‘missile’ fits loosely in the ‘silo’ but the rounded end is then slightly recessed and impossible to hold.  The task is to get the missile out of the silo without jerking or turning over the silo (for example you could insist on holding it on a table).  Blow across the top to extract the missile - Bernoulli demo. Note the second pic of the missile in its silo to make things clearer.

Marble-in-well puzzle - roll the marble into the elevated central well - just tricky!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: puzzles
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:59:19 PM »
They'll keep the grandchildren quite!

I've never seen the ball with hidden magnet one before though.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »
They are great fun making we had a demo on the ball with a magnet and the marble in the bowl I made THIS little one it keeps the grandchildren busy trying to work out how it works

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »
Yes Derek - I found that one in a book but it is great to see it working! (does the ale help?!)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
Are there any websites that show how to make puzzles like these?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 10:25:40 PM »
Yes Derek - I found that one in a book but it is great to see it working! (does the ale help?!)

Don't even like that ale I am a bitter man, Yes it was from a book it may be one of David Springett

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »
dr4g0nfly/Derek - yes I saw it in a different book by David Springett ('full circle') but this one looks good.  I have bought it on Kindle which may or may not turn out to be a good idea! (instant but the pictures require a tablet I think)