Author Topic: Really  (Read 4428 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Really
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »
Looking at his other work foir sale I assume it should be £350. Never know thoiugh someone might pay LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
Why not, Tracey Emin can sell an unmade bed for £2.2 Million, on that basis this is a bargain! Though I suspect there was a stutter on the 0 key, I can only wish him the best of luck, adding that zero could do us all a power of good.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:35:01 PM »
The seller is evidently not the maker, and is trying his hand at making a big profit from those gullible enough to think that ebay is cheap.
That said, if he does manage to convince the general public that woodturnings are worth this much, it can only help the rest of us trying to sell our work.

Unfortunately he has not sold any woodturnings to date, but then again he has only just started listing them. One to watch maybe?
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:41:11 PM »
|I've got a big Elm blank in the workshop, if this sells I might get around to turning it
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 11:00:38 PM »
There was a white painted pine dog bed in Harrods that was OK, jointed with dowels nothing fancy priced at over £2000. So people will pay, if you can get into the right market. Just not sure Ebay is the right place... will watch with interest though.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 01:11:00 AM »
Why shouldn't the bowls be for sale at £3500?

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 07:37:51 AM »
To often Wood-turners sell their product far to cheap at craft fairs,etc,  the cost is not just about the cost of the wood and turning time even at minimum wages its far more.

Time selecting timber, time cutting blank, time packing, time travailing, time cleaning workshop, deprecation on capital equipment, cost of disposables, cost of premises, cost of stall, time spent selling etc , all thing a successful business would take into consideration but some how the majority of turners don't take into consideration.

Some turners moan when the sell via a Gallery who add on 40% 50% or even double the have rent, staff, fittings, etc all to pay they have done their home work profit is what is what keeps them going

Wood turning is fortunate it can be a profession and hobby but selling something just to cover the cost of a blank is letting everybody down, If the hobby was Golf its not just the cost of the ball.

All food for thought and in these times of Lockdown just do a simple actual cost, taking in the variables, post some results !!!
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 08:15:14 AM »
One of my articles in the magazine covered this very point Michael and I recieved emails from people basically disagreeing and in one case telling me I had no right to 'dictate' what people sold their work for. My argument has always been that they are undermining the perceived value of the craft / art if they sell just to recoup costs. Having said that I think that if the seller on ebay was actually asking for that price (which ir appears he isn't based on cost of other items in his shop) it is perhaps ambitious and optimistic LOL. I have however seen artistic woodturning for sale at that sort of price albeit of far better quality and a higher standard of design and artistic merit.,

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 09:05:10 AM »
It is always interesting to see what gets put up on ebay and its sister sites. Along those lines, can we criticise this seller whose work is not particularly good standard but at least he is the actual maker.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Turned-Sapele-Pot-Wooden-Pot-Wooden-Bowl-Wedding-Anniversary-Gift/333407007797
PS. Have a look at the inside!

Goiing back to the original item, I have just had an email from ebay, offering me the item at the discounted price of £3000. Has anyone else had a similar offer?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:12:50 AM by Woodcrafts »
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Seeing that first post means I can now sell this PIECE for double what I intended so now at a tenner. ;D ;D ;D.
(Before anyone takes this serious I am joking as I am sure there are some who will take that price literally)

Seriously I could never sell mine for the price that some sell theirs for but at the same time do not believe in giving it away I have recently had a complete look at my pricing structure and increased prices to a more realistic level, still not to the level of some on here.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
I agree with Paul's comment.

The eBay posting is from a Gallery in London where Andy F is a guest artist.
https://www.aalondongallery.com/shop?page=5
The gallery market cannot be compared to the craft fair market. They have different customer and maker profiles so pricing is different. With sales through galleries the maker will be lucky to get 50% of the retail price.

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »
Just read through this thread. The photo in the first link is the same as one of the photos in this link. https://www.aalondongallery.com/product-page/woodturner-claimed-wood-very-rare-burr-elm-nest-of-bowls-by-andy-f

So a gallery selling at less than Ebay.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 05:29:19 PM »
The gallery have obviously added the additional fees charged by Ebay and possibly Paypal too to the total price. Any sensible seller would factor in all costs when arriving at a price.

Isn't the definition of an artist one who can no longer afford to buy their own work?  ;)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
and what on earth is claimed wood?
Duncan