Author Topic: Tippee tops  (Read 886 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Tippee tops
« on: April 11, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »
Some of you will remember these from when you were kids! Fun and fascinating to play with.  The point is that when you start them spinning with the handle up they will reverse and end up standing on the handle like a mushroom (Google to see some videos).  Fairly easy to make but some care is needed.  See the US woodturners description:-

http://aawcontentsource.org/aaw_cs1_pdf/WF0401p13-16.pdf

In addition to this I would emphasise the need for the centre of gravity to be low (when with handle up) and for the inward curvature of the lower edge of the 'mushroom' (when stood on the handle) to be sufficient to not touch a level surface when the top is resting on its handle.  They suggest a weight in the bottom - I have not bothered with this but the two-wood versions are lignum vitae/maple which is more effective.  It is a good idea to have a jammable handle so you can test before finishing and a jam chuck that fits on the handle hole.

All 35-40mm dia.

Fun anyway and may amuse some people!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:10:04 PM by willstewart »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Tippee tops
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:28:01 PM »
Will, thank you,
not only are they wonderful little tops but your timing is excellent, but I've been wanting to make some small spinning tops, so the link will be very useful.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!