Author Topic: Silver lining  (Read 1119 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Silver lining
« on: April 10, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
Silver lining to this 'isolation; is that we now have time to sort through the 'didn't finish' box and work on those bits that never got done. These two have been hanging around for a year or two waiting form some attention. Finally got done. 1st is a little walnut bowl turned to around 2mm thick and 6 3/4" diameter. Base is round and it is set on an oak plinth which allows it to be tilted to suit eventual owner and show off the texturing. Texturing done with various tips in a basic dremel. 2ns one is a piece of yew 11" diameter (approx) and turned green. Natural splits filled with brass. It's mounted on a burr oak plinth C&C welcome als always
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Silver lining
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 12:29:48 PM »
Well worth finishing Pete, both lovely pieces, I particularly like the Yew, but then in my opinion it is one of the most beautiful of english timbers.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 01:36:53 PM »
Thanks Pete. I prefer the walnut partly as it came out looking far better than I expected but also as it looks like old leather in the flesh I agree that yew is one of the best indigenous timbers.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 07:28:28 PM »
I like all the different textures in the Walnut bowl it also has a certain depth of colour that is very appealing, Not too keep on the Yew piece

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 10:50:05 PM »
some nice work there pete.

the silver lining in this situation for me was seeing yesterday that two large trucks pulled up 4 doors down and i realised they were taking down the Liquidambar that was getting too big for the front lawn of that house.

i now have 5 bits of Sweetgum ranging from 6" up to about 15" diameter.

i would usually have been at work and missed it...

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 12:08:06 AM »
Right place right time, Garden trees often provide the best timber, without concrete, barbed wire and other inclusions that comes from farm hedgerows, plus some species that should never be on these shores get cared for nurtured and sometimes even naturalised thanks to keen gardeners. who then of course have to cut them down when they realise just how big trees grow ;D
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
tragically the tree had none of the lovely heart colour you get in sweetgum but it's a lovely wood all the same and i'll get it cut up whenever i can get back to the shop.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
As you say Pete, there is a Silver Lining to this enforced slowdown, the opportunity to finish, to play and to experiment.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!