Author Topic: Alternative ivory  (Read 3574 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Alternative ivory
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Hi all,
         I need to do a job in alternative ivory, does anyone have any COSHH information regarding it's use?
Regards
John BHT

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Alternative ivory
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:01 PM »
An email to a supplier might get you the answers try http://www.ivoryalternative.com/ I have found them helpful in the past.

john

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
Hi John

A google led me to this posting on another forum.  the thread stated that this was the reply from GPS Agencies in relation to COSHH data Sheet Enquiry:

"Safety Data Sheet for Cast Polyester

We wish to confirm that our materials are in conformity with the new laws for the care of health and prevention of carcinogenic diseases.

This means that our goods are not harmful and do not contain any dye stuff or additive which can develop one of the forbidden ammines.

Chemical Composition
Unsaturated Polymerized Polyester Resin

Non Toxic and Slow Burning

Barol Hardness = 24/30

Density = 1.2

Phthalic Anhydride

Maleic Anhydride

Polyvalent Glycole

Styrene
"

On the face of it this supplier seems satisfied that this product is safe.  However, as this is a public forum please ask your supplier to provide a COSHH data Sheet to confirm the product you intend to use is safe for its intended use.

Cheers Dave

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
Thanks guys,
                  I am pretty sure that it is safe, apart from the dust obviously, on turning it , it appears to be more pleasant than Iroko.
Regards
John BHT

richardpeers

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
This stuff is the same as the acrylic pen blanks. It doesn't normally produce dust when turned. If you turn it slowly enough you can get away with a gouge, with similar results to a scraper (see below). At higher speeds, the material splinters into small chips a couple of millimetres across - way too small to be a lung hazard.

A sharp scraper though will produce incredibly long shavings - unlike wood, the plastic is resilient enough to hold together laterally (not being fibrous), so the shavings can be yards long. They are thin, long, and wrap around the lathe, the tool, the tailstock, and anything else. Did I mention that the shavings get very long?  :) Again, these are not hazardous.

There could be a dust problem from sanding, where the particles are just as fine as with wood, so this is the time to use extraction and/or a dust mask.

woody

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
As well as the scrapper I find the wedge tool work extremely well on this stuff when making boxes and at any speed and the finish you get needs very little sanding   same with all the other alternative materials
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:45:29 PM by woody »