Author Topic: Jigs for turning  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Jigs for turning
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »
Yesterday spent the day making a couple of jigs as I am starting another turning project and realised that I need some way of holding a sphere so that I can hollow them. If the wood was large enough I could have hollowed after turning the outside.
Anyway around the problem is a doughnut jig, while I am at it some kind gentleman from another forum made me a couple of bits for another project so I completed that one as well.
I know the piece in the doughnut jug is not a sphere but it is the piece that I need for the job.
The first is the small doughnut jig. And the second an earing hole jig.

I still want a larger doughnut jig as well as a steady rest I have all the materials for these so may even get around to them sometime

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Jigs for turning
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
I use the doughnut jig too, not made or used the earring one perhaps I should
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »
Sometimes the making of the jigs is more enjoyable than making the object.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
Sometimes the making of the jigs is more enjoyable than making the object.

Yes it is. Today however I had a very enjoyable day at my local woodturning club listening to Joey Richardson give a demonstration

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »
Maybe i am being thick but explain the ear ring jig for me?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 10:46:50 PM »
Maybe i am being thick but explain the ear ring jig for me?

Pete

Sorry that may be me it is for drilling the holes in an earring stand not the earrings themselves ::) ::) ::). I must get in the habit of re-reading my post before posting it ;D ;D ;D

Making mine in 4 pieces with the upright and finial from contrasting wood and the base and top and bottom from another wood
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:56:15 PM by Derek »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
I did wonder but as I use the indexing on my lathe to do my marking wasn't sure.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
I did wonder but as I use the indexing on my lathe to do my marking wasn't sure.

Pete

We obviously looked at the picture from different angles, I saw a hole jig that can be put on to the blank before it goes into the lathe, this has advantages over drilling after shaping as your blank will have a flat surface.

Derek, any chance you could add the jig photos to your thread in Tool Tips https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,5916.0.html

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »

Pete

We obviously looked at the picture from different angles, I saw a hole jig that can be put on to the blank before it goes into the lathe, this has advantages over drilling after shaping as your blank will have a flat surface.

Derek, any chance you could add the jig photos to your thread in Tool Tips https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,5916.0.html

I completely forgot that I had started that one :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
I have a completely different system by the sound of it. As I tend to make ear ring stands as bread and butter items, a dozen or so at a time I do them as quickly as possible. Drilling is done with a pillar drill and one side of the disc is flat. Works for me.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »
We all develop different ways of doing pretty much the same thing, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't sell many earring stands, Bracelet stands by the dozen, and last year a bunch of necklace stands for market stall holders. But earring stands probably half dozen a year. Perhaps that is because I don't yet have a formula I like for making them. So I will give Derek's jig a try maybe it will lead to something that is small easy to post and most importantly fun to make.