Author Topic: hello from a newbie  (Read 2364 times)

Offline makkem

• iron
hello from a newbie
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
I'm pleased to have joined the forum and thought I'd introduce myself before sending off questions.
I'm an old(ish) bloke who had never had the pleasure and the agony of working with wood until I retired a couple of years ago.
I started doing simple joinery and gradually built up a set of reasonable tools and really enjoy it. 
I then became interested in turning and read a bit and watched a bit on YouTube and recently had an introductory session with an experienced turner.  I liked the feel of it and will have some more sessions with him. I also hope to join a club. In the meantime I've bought a 2nd hand lathe and tools to get me started and although they were cheapish the makes are mainly Record and Marples. I also bought the book recommended a lot on here by Keith Rowley.
I'm looking forward to developing this new interest and getting helpful hints and advice on this site.
Good to be here.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
First and foremost, a big welcome to you and secondly, well done for going about it the right way....tuition, the possibility of more tuition, a wood turning club and a good book....an excellent start!
I look forward to seeing the first fruits of your labour.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »
Welcome, where in the world are you? there are clubs over most of the UK and members here from most of them. Anyone of any age that gets involved will help to maintain the craft we all enjoy, if all you do is contribute to keeping a tool shop open you are helping us all.  :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:31:53 PM »
Welcome to your new addiction. As said you are doing it the right way so look forward to seeing your first work. Don't think it has to be something super special either.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
Oh dear, another one caught by the turning bug...

Don't worry, it got us all the same way.

And a big welcome from me as well.

Not sure how much of the forum you've read but please don't be worried about posting your early work. We are a friendly lot and will do everything we can to help you in your learning curve. We've all been there.

And you are doing it (mostly) right, proper lessons and hopefully joining a club, but go easy on YouTube, one or two of them are downright dangerous, showing bad techniques, incorrect use of tools and poor knowledge of the craft.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum, I hope you will find it useful in your development as a woodturner.

If you haven't already found the clubs in your area, look on our website for the clubs map.

Also, if you join the AWGB, you can take advantage of our free courses.

Offline makkem

• iron
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcome - just to answer a couple of the questions - I live near the County Durham coast and yes, I will be joining the AWGB.
Great to have such supportive comments.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)