Author Topic: Scalloped bowl - another method  (Read 4548 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Scalloped bowl - another method
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
This is a new try at a scalloped bowl - this time with six 'petals'  instead of 8 and made 'the other way round'.  Interesting anyway I think! 

I note that the intermediate hyperboloidal shape is interesting and pleasing in itself - I am not quite sure what to do with it!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Scalloped bowl - another method
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:15:25 PM »
I would burn it .
The joints are realy bad and it is obviously poorly made.
A lot of improvement needed

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
George,

Wow!  A bit harsh on the comment - remember your saying ...

"The man that never made a mistake never made anything"

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
I agree with you Sandy. I believe that any lesson learned is always far more valuable than either a ruined blank or finished article. Power to your elbow Will, keep experimenting and sharing your results.

All the best
Brian

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »
Typical George reply , Like a elephant on heat , not nice not respectful ::) 

You could have said ,

" Nice try on something different , however if you can the joints neet a tidy up , Nice effort , I look forward to you next exsample "

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
Thanks all and do not worry!  I noticed long ago that whilst we would all like to see interesting objects beautifully made some of us are more concerned about the former and some more about the latter!  Both approaches have merit - but now someone can try making my bowl better than me!

FTR a classic example is removing chucking points - can be a good idea but non-woodturners rarely realise what they are and it often seems unnecessary (and sometimes it is useful to be able to re-finish).

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 02:48:42 PM »
George represents those members of this forum that will accept nothing but the highest standards. Having been his student, I can vouch for that from personal experience.
So, although there is certainly some merit in presenting new ideas here, even if they need a lot more work, there is also something to be said for not presenting things prematurely. And I think that is what happened here. I will be the first to acknowledge that getting these joints just right is a very troublesome affair, and probably ultimately only possible with a jig for a mill or a radial arm saw or something similar. But George does have a point, and I think Will should try again, and this time with less focus on the novelty and concept, and a little more focus on the execution and final result.

On the subject of leaving chucking points on finished items: As far as I am concerned that is an absolute no-can-do. There is always a way you can remount a finished piece, which completely removes the need to leave a chucking point. And unless you are total wizard in shape, it always looks ugly.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »
This is a good example of why I do not use these Forums anymore the lack of honesty.
This is obviously very poorly made and you are doing the maker no favours by saying otherwise.
If this was just a little bit poor you could offer constructive critique but it is not.

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
That is not quite true Fuzzy  Iaccept that we all have to learn ,but when something is put up that is very poor I think it is olmost an insult to other members.
Surely before you put stuff up here for others to comment on it should be something like right or at least a damn good effort.
I sugest some would be Woodturners need to learn the basics before they try the clever stuff.
This is the first time I have looked at this Forum for a long time maybe I should not have bothered I will probably get another ban for being honest

Regards George

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 03:30:07 PM »
Will,
As others have noted, it needs more work but I find the idea very interesting and thank you for posting a description of your technique - and for being brave enough to post the finished article for critique.

Each to their own but, I for one, find such posts interesting even though I would probably not attempt something as complex as that myself. Keep them coming!
Duncan

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 05:22:14 PM »
George - do not worry and keep coming!  One could wait for perfection but a perfect example does not help anyone any more than my imperfect one unless some special technique is involved (I do wonder about vacuum bagging for clamping - any experience with complex objects welcome).  So the basic idea is already there.  And FWIW the joints are actually not bad - the issue as I said is that the 'petal' thickness varies - I can correct this another time.

Offline JHA

• iron
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »
Well done, good ideas.
Thanks for the detailed photos and description.
 :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 06:22:22 PM »
George - do not worry and keep coming!  One could wait for perfection but a perfect example does not help anyone any more than my imperfect one unless some special technique is involved (I do wonder about vacuum bagging for clamping - any experience with complex objects welcome).  So the basic idea is already there.  And FWIW the joints are actually not bad - the issue as I said is that the 'petal' thickness varies - I can correct this another time.

What you have atemted here is more advanced than most Woodturners could ever do inc me.I think even a Furniture maker would struggle .
So not so bad  LOL

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
In all fairness George tends  to say what most of us just think. The concept is great, and if you had posted as a trial what can make it better it would have been a different matter. So much gets lost in this medium that come across in face to face dialogue. Bottom line this is a great concept and needs you to go on with. Keep 'em coming. Us old fogies need something to shake us out of our lethargy.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
Will,

To me, George's first comment came across as a very blunt 'put-me-down', neither warranted nor needed, let alone showing any respect.

Make what you will of his last comment -    "What you have atemted here is more advanced than most Woodturners could ever do inc me.I think even a Furniture maker would struggle . So not so bad  LOL" 

??