Author Topic: Salvaged a black Walnut blank  (Read 2819 times)

woody

Salvaged a black Walnut blank
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
I purchased this blank some time last year it is part of a crutch from a branch but it developed a waking great split so I was left with two alternatives cut it up into pen blanks or try and salvage it so I have taken some picks of the process that I chose it works very well on dark wood the darker the better was it worth it you decide ?

woody

Re: Salvaged a black Walnut blank
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
Last two pic's

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
Interesting and a very good finish.

But you've not said what you did to affect the 'repair'.  Looking at it It does not look like epoxy & coffee grounds, or even just epoxy on it's own.  I can see what I think is a Glue trace on one of the pictures looking into the bowl, so I'm sure you've used it somewhere.

I have to admit, I've never turned Black Walnut as a bowl, small stands and beckets as faceplate work, 5" and 4" respectivly, mostly I spindle turn it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
Interesting and a very good finish.

But you've not said what you did to affect the 'repair'.  Looking at it It does not look like epoxy & coffee grounds, or even just epoxy on it's own.  I can see what I think is a Glue trace on one of the pictures looking into the bowl, so I'm sure you've used it somewhere.

I have to admit, I've never turned Black Walnut as a bowl, small stands and beckets as faceplate work, 5" and 4" respectivly, mostly I spindle turn it.
I used CA glue and dust produced from turning the bowl I pressed the dust into the split on the outside then put a few drops of CA glue on it then sanded and repeated the proses on the inside
By the way the bowl is 8" x 3"