Author Topic: The importance of P R E .  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
The importance of P R E .
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »
This IS very important , I have seen lots of turners not using any personal respiratory equipment especially on youtube.
I now keep my headset and filter equipment on ALL the time I am in my workshop . The fan unit is on a belt behind me .

This is a result of about 15 hours since I last changed the pre filters ( The filter unit has 2 installed) . The photo show 1 new and one old used filter , It was worse than seen but I dropped it on the way back to the house and a fair proportion of dust came of the filter

This IS the evidence that we should all take this seriously 

No P.R.E and all this lot ends up in your lungs  :o

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:01:56 PM by Wood spinner »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: The importance of P R E .
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:48:26 PM »
Can't argue with the visible evidence.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
I use mine when sanding or doing anything that is even slightly going to cause dust. I even vac up at the end of the day so that when starting again the next day in the shed I can do work not involving dust without kicking more up.
My filters look like that some days and yes it does just show how much dust is there even when you think there is none

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:11:17 AM »
as a non wearer i'd be interested to see an experiment of this filter having had 15 hours use and a different 15 hours with no turning and sanding but wearing either in the house or outside or near a busy street just to see what is in the air we are breathing in everyday without our favorite pastime.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 12:44:52 AM »
as a non wearer i'd be interested to see an experiment of this filter having had 15 hours use and a different 15 hours with no turning and sanding but wearing either in the house or outside or near a busy street just to see what is in the air we are breathing in everyday without our favorite pastime.

Can't really imagine myself wearing my mask to the supermarket... but I take your point!  I am selective when I wear it, I tend not to for turning but always for sanding, I also have good extraction. My most common error which I am aware of is cleaning up the workshop I intend to use the vacuum rather than sweeping but know I should be more careful.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »

Buy one and try it out as I am not going to work and shopping with my PRE on  :o

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 02:24:35 PM »

Interesting idea. There would be no real need to wear it to the shops - just disconnect the hose and mask and run it whilst going about your business. Or, easier, wear a white shirt and look at the collar after a day of wandering around the town centre.
Or keep away from the town altogether!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 02:53:13 PM »
The nose is a pretty efficient filter as instanced in the hanky each time it is blown ! I have become especially sensitised to Laburnum and Yew so when sanding them I wear a FPP3 face mask inside a blown air full face shield with extraction on the machine and a workshop air cleaner above. The latter gets very dirty which could be down to poor extraction or the sheer amount of dust produced. I don't sweep up but use a vacuum. (I also wear gloves to prevent absorption of toxins through the skin but that is another issue)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.