Author Topic: Skip dipping hardwoods and a helpful quiz :)  (Read 1579 times)

Offline windfall

• copper
Skip dipping hardwoods and a helpful quiz :)
« on: February 02, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
There are several hundred houses being built near me at the moment, so yesterday on my way past one of the building sites I spotted a skip full of scrap wood. I asked one of the workers if it would be ok to go through the wood and grab some. I drive big bendy trucks part time, so I had on my Hi viz and steel toe caps, luckily, I had my hard hat in the car so the guy radioed the foreman who said it was ok. I think I got 6 hardwoods out of it, good lengths and thickness but narrow. Ok for some spindle type work. Anyway, I think I know 3 of the woods but I’ll put a picture up just so you guys can please tell me wat they are. I know at least one is beech, 2 or three maybe the same just different shades not sure. I also think I know what number 6 is as I worked with it for along time when furniture manufacturing.

Anyway, a bit of a weekend fun quiz, it may help others to spot wood types.

I managed to fill the boot and back seat, so I have some hardwood to play with now. Skip had gone this morning probably to the tip or pulping factory :( 

I made up a t-light from the beech I love this wood , its so nice, so easy to work with and the colour is awesome.

bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Skip dipping hardwoods and a helpful quiz :)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:13:02 PM »
Not easy from pictures, but I am mostly sure about 3 & 4 being lacewood, think 2 and possibly 1 are the same, 5 is Beech and 6 could be Oak but need to see the end grain really.

Nice haul no matter what, free wood is always good to find. and I agree on the beech, I have a regular order customer who requires lots of beech work. it's lovely to work with.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:14:58 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
1 Acer
2 Prunus
3 Acer
4 Fagus
5 Prunus
6 Quercus

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
Well done on bagging a load of free timber....there's plenty of it out there getting dumped by the unenlightened.

Just a word of caution regarding an issue which crops up from time to time on this forum and others. No responsible turner should ever make candle or tea light holders without using liners; that is to say, a non-combustible material between the candle/tea light and the timber. All too often, fires are caused by wooden candle holders becoming dried out through frequent use, then suddenly catching fire one day when a candle burns down. The temperature at which many types of tea lights burn is high enough to ignite timber once it is thoroughly dried.

Be smart....use a liner!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »
Well done on bagging a load of free timber....there's plenty of it out there getting dumped by the unenlightened.

Just a word of caution regarding an issue which crops up from time to time on this forum and others. No responsible turner should ever make candle or tea light holders without using liners; that is to say, a non-combustible material between the candle/tea light and the timber. All too often, fires are caused by wooden candle holders becoming dried out through frequent use, then suddenly catching fire one day when a candle burns down. The temperature at which many types of tea lights burn is high enough to ignite timber once it is thoroughly dried.

Be smart....use a liner!
Les

Thank you - your warning his headed :) I have been looking for thin liners for the candle sticks.
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:50:07 PM »
Ed Oliver had a load of glass t light inserts, cbeck him out and candle inserts come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Google candle cups but look out for the cheap ones with no bottom to them.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:35:39 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
Looks like for the 40mm ones , I use the 38mm candles from ikea I'd have to buy in bulk from Germany to keep the price down. This may sound silly but I have to ask , is there a paintable solution that can be used ?
Could you fill the hole with fireproof silicone then bore it out with a  5mm smaller forstner bit after its set to make a lining ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:12:59 PM by windfall »