Author Topic: Perhaps a wood swap category would be useful?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline windfall

• copper
Perhaps a wood swap category would be useful?
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:21:42 AM »
I was thinking, maybe a would swap part of the forum would be useful for the members?  I’ve noticed the prices of blanks on eBay etc and though of buying some, put they seem a bit pricy. I’m probably going to end up with way too much green wood blanks and more than likely to much dried of one species in a year. So, it may be good if members can swap wood for say the cost of postage? And I know from reading threads in the forum that what’s good for some turners is subjective. But that would be down to the members to bargain a swap.
I had some wood blanks given to me by an old mans daughter who passed away recently. I’ll post a picture of what I found later. But in the collection was an oak bur that would almost fit in my fist and it was priced at £2.04. It looks about 10 years old by the faded label and I thought that’s bloody ridiculous. My friend the Church warden chopped down an old oak tree at the back of the church in late autumn that’s full of burs. I just have to find some room and transport to get it to my house and chop it up. I’m also a bit hobbled as I don’t have a petrol chainsaw so will have to rely on another friend to chop it in the field. But I’m happy to send lumps of it to genuine turnings if they have something I want to swap. Especially as I need dried wood more than I need raw logs.
Anyway, just I thought, I have a full cherry tree being dropped off some time this weekend because I made I tiny bud vase out of some spalt’d beech that the farmer had stacked in his wood pile. It’s the second thing I’ve turned in 30 years so not a masterpiece. My mum gave it to the farmers wife as a thank you and now timbers piling up at the back of my shed lol.

bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Perhaps a wood swap category would be useful?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Hi Windfall

That idea is good, though it is better when you can pick up the wood locally are you involved with the Red Rose club? https://rrwtc.wordpress.com/ may be worth a visit.

Pete
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
Hi Windfall

That idea is good, though it is better when you can pick up the wood locally are you involved with the Red Rose club? https://rrwtc.wordpress.com/ may be worth a visit.

Pete

No Pete but I have been meaning to go as its the most local club to me, its 8 miles from my workshop. Are you involved there ? There's a big willow coming down near the one of th elocal shoots carp ponds and I've been told to come and grab what I want. Maybe it would be worth bringing a boot full of blanks to the club night see if anyone wants to swap?
My biggest problem is I dont have a band saw although one of the farmers has but its catching them in to use it. I don't have room for one and honestly I couldn't afford a decent one at the moment. So may even be I matter of exchanging some labour for decent wood.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:27:59 PM by windfall »
bodrighywood : If you are new to woodturning you will quickly realise that if you ask 10 woodturners a question you will get a minimum of 11 answers

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »
No I am not local, just looked up a club that would be close to you.

I suspect my Bandsaw is actually as important to my wood turning as my lathe, I can't really use a chainsaw as I live in an urban area, and though I do on occasions I time it to cause the least disruption for the shortest time.

If you have the ability to obtain and move fairly large pieces of timber I strongly suspect there will be someone in the local club who will help you process it into usable blanks for a share.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »
I can't really use a chainsaw as I live in an urban area, and though I do on occasions I time it to cause the least disruption for the shortest time.

I have exactly the same problem and have solved it by using an electric chainsaw.  The Oregon CS1500 is a fantastic electric chainsaw with an 18" bar.  No messing about with petrol either.   Have had mine for about a year now  (Was on offer at Screwfix over this last Christmas holiday at £99.00 (reduced from usual price of £130.00))

Just a thought.

Tim

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:40:14 PM »
I can't really use a chainsaw as I live in an urban area, and though I do on occasions I time it to cause the least disruption for the shortest time.

I have exactly the same problem and have solved it by using an electric chainsaw.  The Oregon CS1500 is a fantastic electric chainsaw with an 18" bar.  No messing about with petrol either.   Have had mine for about a year now  (Was on offer at Screwfix over this last Christmas holiday at £99.00 (reduced from usual price of £130.00))

Just a thought.

Tim

The exact one I bought - self sharpening well with a flick of button, quiet and powerful and excellent tool.  :)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for that suggestion, the Oregon CS1500, sounds interesting. I have only seen electric chainsaws with a fairly short bar on them. its good to keep neighbors happy. 

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
Even though an electric chainsaw is great for noise levels the places I go and collect wood from do not have electricity. I then return the logs home and cut into smaller pieces with it which I don't do every day and a quick word to the neighbours to pre-warn them keeps the peace

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
Nice lump of cherry came in today from a friend of a friend of a friend. And that crab-apple has started to ooze sap or tannin don't know which, smells fantastic though. next year I'll have loads of wood to turn , this year I don't have any lol

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
where abouts are you? A swap section sounds a great idea, I can see problems but in principle brilliant.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
Given the problems with transporting wood from one part of the country to another, perhaps any wood swap would be better done at a local club level?

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
Given the problems with transporting wood from one part of the country to another, perhaps any wood swap would be better done at a local club level?

I'm on the Fylde coast Crazylegs :)

Paul , that may work, the only problem I can see is that not everyone goes to a club I'll be going to my first next month. I wouldn't send it through the post if it was wet.
I was thinking - "Wood Swap" forum with "County" as the sub forums ?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
I think trying to subdivide by county wouldn't work. Not even the Royal Mail use counties any more! There are also people who live close to county borders so may be interested in several and those who may be prepared to either travel farther or pay delivery costs for something special so I would suggest that if there was a wood swap board, the location was stated in the title, which keeps things simpler.

I will post a poll so forum users can vote on it. If there is enough demand in favour of it I will create the board as a trial.

Offline windfall

• copper
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »
Thanks Paul, that's a fantastic idea, I don't know much about forums so whatever you think will be best if the members agree. :)