Author Topic: squere textured oak bowl.  (Read 1501 times)

Offline wider

• gold
squere textured oak bowl.
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:32 PM »
finally got round to finishing this item. A square bowl in oak was started back in November at the Harrogate show when I was demoing there on the Axminster stand for H4H Phoenix house. . the square bowl has been textured using the saburrtooth rotosaw tip. all comments welcome.

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: squere textured oak bowl.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
A lovely piece. Viewed from above I like the crispness of the connections between the different aspects of the design, in particular the treatment of the area between turned surface and the texture. From the side I thought initially that the black base worked well but on closer inspection I assume they are chuck jaws  :) The quality of finish looks great.
If anything, I would prefer the square rim to be thinner to be in better proportion to the rest of the bowl, maybe re-turning it after the stress of texturing ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
hi John
  thank you for your comments. the black on the base is actually my lens cap just to raise the bowl for photo'ing.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
I like the added texture and the fact you've been brave enough to leave in the faults in the wood.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!