Author Topic: 2019 membership renewals  (Read 5549 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
2019 membership renewals
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:50:01 PM »
Any clues as to when the AWGB will sendout membership renewals. One letter tells me that they will be sent out individually but clubs can collect the fees, and I hear that acheme has died the death.
I have collected 30 renewals this monts meeting without a card to give anyone.
Anyone shine a light?
Ron

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: 2019 membership renewals
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »

Hi Ron as I understand it these will be sent out in Bulk by the AWGB revolutions Distributors I thought it would be to Club Secretary's I have already sent money to Mike (Membership Secretary) and had the list returned if these are sent to individuals chaos will reign it is hard enough chasing the late payers up as it is.

Could Someone from the AWGB please clarify the situation   

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 12:44:14 AM »
I have just sent an email out to all the clubs - Mike Wilson has resigned as membership secretary and is being replaced by Keith Mosley who won't be able to take over until near the end of this month. Please don't post anything else to Mike, send it to Keith. His address is in the email bulletin I just sent out to all branch secretaries.

This has caused a delay in the cards being sent out because they need to be printed with the new address for Keith. They should be sent out around the end of November in bulk as usual for all affiliated branches so they can distribute them to their members
Individual (i.e. non-club) member's cards will be sent out with the next issue of Revolutions as they were last year.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »

Paul,
         Thanks for the information sorry Mike has resigned he was sorting a problem out for me as Secretary of Burcot Woodturners one of our Members has disappeared off the Membership list this was a mistake made by Ryan this member has been a member of the AWGB for over 18 years I hope Mike sorts this out before passing everything on to the New Membership Secretary.
                                 With regards to the New Method of paying Insurance then claiming it back from the AWGB this seems a funny way of going about things I appreciate everyone on the AWGB Committee are volunteers and I am grateful for that
but this in my opinion is a step backwards.
                                                               Regards John   
John Smith

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:14:34 PM »
At least we now know where we are and can plan accordingly. I wish Mike well in future, and I can see that membership secretary is one of the  hardest jobs in an organization as big as the AWGB, especially as we depend on a volunteer.
I can see some sense in the idea that we pay for the insurance and get the money back. This way the AWGB know that a prticular club still exists and they are not paying for insurance which is not needed. Makes more work for the treasurer, hopefully the treasurer can cope with the extra work.

John and myself have just paid tribute to the volunteers in the AWGB officers and trustees, the average time in office for a Membership Secretary seems to be about two years. Are we near the point where we should be paying someone  as membership secretary? Another quid on the membership fees should cover a partimer.
Ron

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »

Well said Ron I agree everyone are Volunteers it may be difficult to pay someone to be Membership Secretary as it might

effect the AWGB Charity Status. ???
                                                   Regards John
John Smith

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
I belong to a group which has charitable status and it pays a treasurer.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
The change in how the insurance is paid for was initiated by the insurers, not us. We weren't given a choice.

I think our articles state that trustees can't receive any payment for their work as a trustee so if we were to pay a membership secretary, they couldn't be a trustee. I wonder how many of our members would be happy with a 5% surcharge to cover the cost of processing their membership...

John,
If your missing member hasn't been resolved, let me have the details and I will look into it.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »

Paul,
       Thank you for the info and I will contact you if the problem has not been sorted.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 09:58:48 PM »
Sorry. Idiot here! As an individual member, do I wait for notification and a form in 'Revolutions', or should I renew on-line and, if the latter, what is the 'closing date' for renewal?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 12:45:57 AM »
Renewals are due on the 31st of December. There will be a reminder in the next issue of Revolutions which will be sent out in the next couple of weeks. Individual members will receive their membership card for 2019 with that issue.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 07:37:40 PM »
Revolutions arrived today, up to it's usual high standard-but where were the promised mebership cards? I see we have yet another new membership secretary and I dont envy  his task, it must be a nightmare to get them all out by the end of the year.
Spare a thought for the poor old club secretary though. I have a meeting next Monday and no membership cards to give to those who have paid their subs, I will send in the money after the next club meeting , but this years confusion as to what the AWGB is actually doing about renewing membership is not doing itself any favours.
Ron

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 08:05:52 PM »
I got mine copy of Revolutions today as well - my membership card was attached to a piece of paper inside the plastic wrapper, and as it was facing inwards nearly got chucked into the recycling bin until a caught a glimpse of print on it and fished it out again. I would imagine there is a good chance that other members might do the same as me and accidentally throw it away thinking its just packaging....

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »

I like Ron I am a club Secretary I also received my Revolutions today there were no membership cards not even mine I have already sent off to the previous Membership Secretary about 30 renewals and new members subs I have not received any membership cards as yet.
 Percy, do you pay your subs by direct debit or via a Club ?

The awgb have a Web site it would be great if they published some info on the News on the web page or even better post it here.
                                       Regards John
John Smith

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
I pay my subs direct to the AWGB, not via a club, so maybe this is the reason...?