Author Topic: At The Going Down of The Sun  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
At The Going Down of The Sun
« on: October 31, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »
This is my tribute to all those that gave so much from all around the world.
I named it "At The Going Down of The Sun" because of the lines of the verse as well as the soldier silhouetted against the setting sun I then added some poppies for that little extra way of remembering the fallen.

Made from Field maple and then sprayed using an airbrush and finished with an acrylic gloss varnish. It stands 8 3/4" and is 3 1/4" at the widest point

C and C welcome

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: At The Going Down of The Sun
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »

Just the job Derek....BRILLIANT
                  Kind Regards Tony Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »

Just the job Derek....BRILLIANT
                  Kind Regards Tony Di

Thank you

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
It has a wonderfully sombre feel to it...well done!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »
Thank you Les.

Just to let you know what will happen to this piece after my club meeting Saturday I will be taking it to my local Royal British Legion branch and giving it to them as a donation so they can help servicemen and women both serving and retired

I had resisted doing this type of work every year but thought as it is a special anniversary I would just do one

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
Great work with the airbrush, did you free hand or use a template? Either way a great looking piece.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »
Great work with the airbrush, did you free hand or use a template? Either way a great looking piece.

Thank you I made my own templates for the soldier and a two part one for the poppies as I am still learning with the airbrush as I have some ideas that I want to play with

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »
There are loads of multi part templates available, I have used a few with some great results. I watch guys who free hand stuff and they are superb.
Keep up the good work.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
There are loads of multi part templates available, I have used a few with some great results. I watch guys who free hand stuff and they are superb.
Keep up the good work.

I am also amazed at what some of the guys do with airbrushes yes I agree there are so many stencils out there but unfortunately are quite often the wrong size for the project in hand not only that but when you finally decide on the project and need it to be finished by this Saturday ordering one would have cut it very very fine but that is my fault I always seem to leave these things until the last moment :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 06:53:57 PM »
Just found out that I got Cover photo of the day on WOW

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »
Just found out that I got Cover photo of the day on WOW
...congratulations, Derek....well deserved.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 09:18:15 PM »
So you should. It's a lovely piece in its own right apart from the relevance.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
Thank you Les and Pete

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
This is very atmospheric Derek and will, like mine, be welcome at the BRL I'm sure. Well done

Thank you I made my own templates for the soldier and a two part one for the poppies as I am still learning with the airbrush as I have some ideas that I want to play with

The image of the soldier that you used crops up frequently at the moment and is the first image on Pinterest on my phone and attributed to #Phorographytalk, which I'm quite sure is not the originator.

My question is 'how far should we go in searching for the origin of an image or idea?'
I appreciate that the final product is original but one could argue that without it and the RBL's twin petal poppy image (Poppies have 4-6 petals) this is just a very well presented and finished vase.
Just to raise discussion Derek because I would like advice.
Regards
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
This is very atmospheric Derek and will, like mine, be welcome at the BRL I'm sure. Well done

The image of the soldier that you used crops up frequently at the moment and is the first image on Pinterest on my phone and attributed to #Phorographytalk, which I'm quite sure is not the originator.

My question is 'how far should we go in searching for the origin of an image or idea?'
I appreciate that the final product is original but one could argue that without it and the RBL's twin petal poppy image (Poppies have 4-6 petals) this is just a very well presented and finished vase.
Just to raise discussion Derek because I would like advice.
Regards
Nick

I can fully understand your thoughts on this Nick. I have had so many offers to buy this piece but due to the nature of some the items used in the construction of this piece I made the decision to donate to the RBL.
The thoughts that you put forward were always in my mind when coming up with this one. I could not find the originator of the soldier image either.
My only problem is that I don't have an artistic bone in my body

Thank you for your comments
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 10:32:12 AM by Derek »