Author Topic: Time for a New Lathe  (Read 4868 times)

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
Time for a New Lathe
« on: September 27, 2018, 07:21:17 AM »
I have decided to buy a new lathe, I am considering Axminster at1628vs and 2030 also the Stratos, if anyone has a recommendation please let me know, I am hoping to get to Harrogate but not sure if I will or not.
The additional features I and looking for are
Indexing
Spindle lock
2 hp motor or more
Easy to remove tailstock
Digital speed readout
Headstock spindle wheel to rotate by hand
Good back up service
Thanks
Michael

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Time for a New Lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 03:21:56 PM »
I've got the Twister (smaller brother of the Stratos, and essentially the same lathe as the AT1628VS), and it's done everything I ever asked from it. It has all those features and is rock solid in build and quality. Plus:
The headstock rotates through 360 degrees
The bed extension can be fitted on either end and at different heights, and at a right angle to the main.
Speed change (or belt change) is dead easy, no fumbling with tiny components.

I bought mine complete with legs. The lathe is designed for people about 5'4" - 5'8" tall. Since I am quite a bit taller than that, I had to put it onto a plinth made from 2" x 3" pine bars covered with an old kitchen worktop. If you need a similar arrangement, make sure you have it cut away between the legs, as otherwise your feet are too far away from the lathe bed.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
Looking at the features that you have listed I would go with the Stratos. I've two 1628's and the weak points are indexing set up but I don't use it. The spindle lock is just a pin that falls out and your searching in the shavings to find it. Head stock spindle wheel I think is a much better design on the Stratos.

I'm thinking of upgrading my lathe to the Stratos I think they hold the edge over the 1628.

Ed

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 04:16:24 AM »
New as in NEW or a upgrade ?
Some decent used bargains around

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
Thank you for your reply’s, I now want new as my existing lathe was a used one.
I like the idea of the Stratos but I have read very good reports on the back from Axminster and I think the Stratos is not locally available, so dilemma Axminster from a showroom just 40 mins from me here in Malvern or Stratos from much further away?
Michael

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 04:11:38 PM »
I have phoned Hope Woodturning a couple of times today but not managed to speak to anyone, I am taking that as a sign in favour of Axminster so I am going to view their lathes tomorrow at the Nuneaton showroom
Fingers crossed
Michael

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
Hi Michael
I have the 20/30 and cant fault it at all, I got it when it was on offer £2200 so was a steal for me, I cant comment on the others as I haven't seen them, have you also looked at Records Maxi1?
all the best
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
Correction
Simon hope just rang me, nice guy so time to decide between Stratos 230 and Axminster 2030

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
Hi
I bought a axminster 2030 lathe after much thought and all i can say is i am very happy with my purchase.
If you mention to axminster nuneaton that you are a member? Of the awgb you may get 5% to 10%Purchase price the after sales service is second to none.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
Hi
There is a guy called Andrew  whale who as a channel on utube who is selling a axminster1628 and a boat load of kit

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »
Yes I have seen his video tonight but I have most of the kit and I am leaning toward the 2030 or Stratos 230 but that’s for the tip and re discount

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
Hi Michael,

I Purchased the Stratos FU230 from Simon Hope mid 2016 along with the bed extension and easy fix system.
It is a superb machine and well engineered. The lathe came direct from the supplier in Germany to my home address on a pallet and ideally needs two people to erect as its very heavy. Once unloaded I had it up and running in under 2hours on my own.
I have turned large wall plaques ( out of balance) up to 900 mm diameter with no problems.
A comprehensive handbook is supplied giviing how to set up, operation, wiring diagrams and breakdown of all parts with bearing sizes, screw bolt sizes etc.
I would fully recommmend this lathe.
Regards Ken

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »
Mike Waldt has the stratos lathe and did an overview of it on his youtube channel
Might be worth a look

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.co.uk

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 07:09:50 AM »
Well I had a look at the 1628 and 2030 at Axminster so I am just waiting to speak with Simon Hope again re Stratos fu230 and I will then make my choice, all three have there merits

Thank you all for advice above
Michael

Offline MalvernMichael

• iron
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
Is there anyone with a Stratos fu230 near to me here in Malvern that would be willing to let me have a look at their lathe, I am considering buying one but would prefer to see one first.
Appreciated
Michael