Author Topic: PAGE TURNER  (Read 2713 times)

DAVE BADKIN

PAGE TURNER
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »
I have wanted to turn one of these ever since I first started woodturning and have finally managed to turn one after 4 years. It is turned from Oak then stained black with spirit before rubbing with copper guilt cream and then buffed with carnauba wax. It measures 47cm long and 4cm wide. All C&C are welcomed.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: PAGE TURNER
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
I can understand the 'want' to turn such an object, but since the advent of lead free newsprint they have a limited market.

However it's a beautiful item and I do like the unusual finish effect you've applied.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:52 AM »
Hi  dr4g0nfly I should Imagen you are right about the lack of a viable customer base for a modern Page turner, so it's a good job I am not a professional turner who has to rely on sales. on further research I think I am right in thinking they were not to protect the person using it but to protect the immensely costly to produce book it would be used with, the annual bathing regime was having a detrimental effect on the pages of heavenly sanctification. the effect obtained with the spirit stain and guilt cream was through luck rather than skill but I do like it and will keep it mind for future projects. Thanks again for your comments

csbrown7

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
Copper Gilt cream. I like. I will try one day. Thanks.