Author Topic: Advice for those attending the seminar  (Read 2144 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Advice for those attending the seminar
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »
I thought I would start this thread for the benefit of those who are going to the seminar for the first time. It would be nice for some of the "Old hands" to offer their advice too. So I will start off my few bits of advice to help you get the most from the seminar.

1. Take a cloth shopping bag with you. Easy to fold up and carry in your pocket and invalueable when needed.
2. A note pad and pen can sometimes be more useful than a camera but take a camera too.
3. Tea and coffee will be provided but I was always grateful for the small bottle of squash that I carried.
4. Take a couple of elastic bands, They come in useful to keep all the business cards together.
5.In your note pad make sure you have all the details written down for your machines,saw blade length/diameter. Plane iron sizes etc. as there will be bargains to be had but they are only bargains if you buy the right ones.
6. If you are diabetic (like me) make sure you have an SOS talisman or record of medication on you just in case. I also carry my test kit and glucoze tablets along with half a dozen biscuits just in case.
7.Make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes.
8. If you use them take spare hearing aid batteries.
9. Don't forget your reading glasses.
10. Charge your mobile phone and bring the charger.

There you are, ten tips from me to help you survive the seminar in luxury (we used to say in the forces that any idiot can live uncomfortably)So let's have a few more.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Advice for those attending the seminar
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »
I've not been to this seminar before, but I will be taking 2 pairs of comfortable shoes.
If I'm going to be in them all day, I don't want to be in the 2 days running.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
I have it on good advice that there will be a notepad and pen in the delegates pack we give out on arrival. I think there are cold drinks available as well as tea & coffee - I will check...
I will definitely be taking comfortable shoes!  ;)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »
Take some of your work and enter it into the instant gallery. Mark it up not for sale or put a sensible price on it if appropriate and not just the price of the blank. By all means take the phone charger but my advice would be to switch it off and enjoy the time away  ;D
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
Don't forgrt John that you need a fully charged phone to call SWMBO to see if you can buy that must have tool or piece of wood. Also handy to use as a camera.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
John, No need! SWMBO just called to say spend whatever you like!
David
At The Cutting Edge

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 07:41:46 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »
There will be cold drinks available as well as tea & coffee and biscuits too!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »
And I will miss it all as I have a show booked for that weekend.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »
Pete, that's a shame. I'm sure that our thoughts will be with you ...... have a good show anyway.
Don't forgrt John that you need a fully charged phone to call SWMBO to see if you can buy that must have tool or piece of wood. Also handy to use as a camera.
SWLTBLT (work that one out) is too busy spending her own money to worry about mine ! The phone I have is strictly for speaking to people (or not) ! I need to take a camera !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.