Author Topic: Snakewood and Birch Plywood Bud Vase  (Read 2507 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Snakewood and Birch Plywood Bud Vase
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
I have not been able to do any of my regular work this year so have started to look at using some of the pieces of wood collected over the past while.
This was a snakewood piece, 125mm dia and 150mm long. Quite a few shakes running through it which I understand is common to this timber. I trimmed the cylinder then soaked lots of CA into the shakes. It was a bit pricey so I elected to core the piece to give the two elements of the design and to get the maximum from it. I chose birch ply for its regular veneer thicknesses and stability. Maybe a thinner ply might have been better. The shape goes wrong at the top but I did not want to persist with a finer design and risk losing the piece. It can be quite difficult to see a total shape when part of it is wrapped in duct tape !
It is very hard and brittle timber, it took the tip off of the McNaughton cutter ! Finished with cellulose sealer and wax, cut back with 0000 steel wool and then bristle brushed. Up next is some brazilian lacewood split turning.......
Constructive criticism and informed/ill informed opinion welcomed !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Snakewood and Birch Plywood Bud Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »
I like the gently tapered shape and am fine with the slight change to the taper near the top, it works well for me, and the snakewood is just wonderful to look at, but the plywood doesn't work for me. Because ply isn't normally looked upon as a quality material, it seems at odds with such an expensive exotic.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
Thank you Les ! I liked the counterpoint of expensive and exotic against every day. In fact I nearly used some laminated mdf but was too unsure about its structural integrity. That can wait for another day.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:11:14 PM »
Like the shape thoigh perhaps I would have exagerated the change in direction of the top section. Like Les not too sure about the plywood v snakewood but will withhold judgement as Contrasting materials often work better in the flesh thn in a photo.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
Strange, I don't mind the Birch Ply as it is a reasonable quality ply, not fill of holes and patches.

If I have any observation to make it it the top, I think the outward flare is wrong, it should have continued the taper or transitioned to a straight edge at best.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 09:39:35 PM »
I love it - it reminds me of an industrial chimney from the Victorian era. It's very Cottonopolis.  ;)

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
I’ve held back from commenting on this because there is something about this that doesn’t work for me, and I am not sure what it is. I think it is the combination of the ply and snake wood, but that is all I can put my finger on at this stage. It may be something to do with the random pattern of the snakewood and the straight linear pattern of the ply being not in harmony. Sorry. Malcolm.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »
Hello Malcy, Pete and Dr4g0nfly
Malcy, no need to apologise for an opinion ably and politely expressed  :) Pete, yes it was the contrast I was looking for and dr4g0nfly, yes it is quality birch ply which was used. I wanted the directional stability of a manufactured board rather than using solid timber for the visual breaks. In the past I have laminated my own "ply" using sycamore and rosewood veneers but this time the bought stuff was readily to hand !
ATB John

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
I keep coming back to this piece and have to agree with others that the ply does not work in my eyes. However saying that I do like the shape and do believe that it does require a contrast to just compliment the snakewood

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »
John like others here I don't really like the birch plywood, but you said in the past you have made your own, (which I do sometimes) personally I think if you had used your own ply made from different colours you would have a winning piece as it is I think you have spoilt a nice piece of Snakewood. I like the shapr though.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
I am afraid I am with John on this one. I have no idea where you got this piece of snakewood from, but this size must have cost you a fair amount. Surely there are some other interesting timbers that could have been used for the contrasting bands.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »
Thanks to all, I am really enjoying the reactions !!! Yes, the billet did cost but its only money !!!
ATB John