Author Topic: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE, morse taper repair?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE, morse taper repair?
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »
hi all, whist turning today i noticed that the taper in my tail stock has been damaged when i was drilling and i now have scoring inside the taper meaning the center i use will not sit properly and wobbles.

can i just buy a reamer to clean out the raised scoring???

i have a Jet 3520B morse taper 2.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE, morse taper repair?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »
Steve, try posting this on WoW. The guys across the pond have been up a while  so you might get an answer.

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
I believe there is a morse taper reamer that could be used to clean it up but will only need a tickle you may need to put a fixed centre in the head stock so that the point sits in the end of the reamer to help keep it all lined up.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »
that's what i assumed but i'm not sure where to obtain such an item.

i had hoped that the reamer would itself be on a morse taper 2 and so i could sit it in the head stock and keep it centered that way.

any recommendations of where to buy one?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
that's what i assumed but i'm not sure where to obtain such an item.

i had hoped that the reamer would itself be on a morse taper 2 and so i could sit it in the head stock and keep it centered that way.

any recommendations of where to buy one?

I had a quick look by typing in Morse taper reamer in the search. You will get some straight reamers with a morse taper fitting but it is the other way around. HERE is just one

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »
Hi
What ever you do do not panic and please just for the moment forget using a reamer
Using a reamer depends on the barrel is it hardend or is it soft (ish) if it's hard forget a reamer you will waste a lot of money .
The trick is find where it's picked up it will not be a massive tear in the metal of the barrel
If you can put in your chuck and polish the damaged section going to the same depth and coming out to same depth each time so you only polish the damaged area use a piece of dowel so there is no more damage to the barrel. Do not attempt to polish the whole of the taper has you will make it oversize and scrap it.
Good luck if you have to finish up using a reamer come back to the forum and I will tell you where to get one .like I say good luck

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »
i am aware that i only need to take off the high spots but i do need a reamer as sanding won't be enough.

where is your suggestion to get a reamer?

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
i am aware that i only need to take off the high spots but i do need a reamer as sanding won't be enough.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/HSS-Reamers/Morse-Taper-Finishing-Hand-Reamers
Arc is run by Ketan Swali, an outstandingly helpful guy and a pillar of the hobby engineering community. I wouldn't hesitate to phone him first to ask his advice.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
Hi
What a reamer will do is "bounce" off the high spots which may cause over cutting on the other side of the taper .
This depends on how heavy the high spot is , what caused the high spot did you have a centre ,a drill chuck spindle ripping up the Morse taper? Also how lucky you are ?
I would stick with polishing use different grades according to how heavy the metal build up is.
Always clean the tapers out before use.
I would suggest using a hand reamer with a centre in the back of reamer and the reamer held in tap wrench .
If you want a reamer with a Morse taper go with the biggest that will fit in your headstock.
Do not use ether under power this is dangerous but feel it by hand caution is the operitve word here.
Cromwell tools will supply your needs.keep away from imported rubbish.
Good luck

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Hi
One thing I did forgot to mention if you are set on using a reamer when you use it use some cutting paste this will keep it cool also stop swarf being trapped under the reamer itself and gouging out more metal from your barrel.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/HSS-Reamers/Morse-Taper-Finishing-Hand-Reamers
Arc is run by Ketan Swali, an outstandingly helpful guy and a pillar of the hobby engineering community. I wouldn't hesitate to phone him first to ask his advice.

thanks for the suggestion Phil but i could not speak to the person you suggested, however i did speak to a very helpful chap and he gave me all the advice i needed.

one reamer is now on its way to me.

thanks for everyone's help...

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
Did you get it sorted Steve?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
i think so.

i bought a reamer that was also a morse taper fit so i could mount it in the headstock to line it up.

whacked in gently with a bit of wood and carefully reamed whilst turning the hand wheel on the headstock and wound in the tailstock.

only very light cuts were made with regular testing to see if a mt2 would fit nicely again.

the reason i say "i think so" is that if i stick my finger in the morse taper it feels like there are still ridges to be cut down but i can put the live center in and it seems as solid as a rock.

i will probably try to take a couple of thou from the remaining taper and leave it at that.

i suppose the test will come when  try to redrill with the jacobs chuck and 40mm auger drill bit.

i should point out that the chuck morse taper is spotless so i can only presume that a bit of crap got caught in the taper when i was inserting it and that produced the problem.

Offline Redtails4

• copper
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »
Hi
Glad you got it sorted (1) what you can feel I minute rips/tears in the metal. These dig ins rather than bumps.
(2)if you need to go a little deeper then put the reamer into the bore just about standing off and with every thing locked including the locking handle so you can just about turn the hand wheel go in.
If you want to check the taper get your best / newest no2 Morse taper put a thin line of chalk or best of all engineers blue very thin and even give it a turn by hand with minimum side pressure  that will tell you how good your taper is. Good luck