Author Topic: My First Real effort.  (Read 3757 times)

Nick Prince

My First Real effort.
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »
Hi  All.

This wa the first peice that I was happy enough with to give as a gift for someone.  Up to this it was all practice peices that are now clogging up the living room.

Its Olive Ripple Ash with Walnut inserts around 14" diameter.

Take it easy with me, I'm the new guy.

Offline John

• bronze
Re: My First Real effort.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Hi Nick,
Welcome to the forum, This is very nice piece.
My only worry is your chuck jaws appear to be dangerousy out from the chuck body. The scroll inserts should not protrude beyond the chuck body, There are two reasons for this, 1, safety, the insert could fly out or catch your hands, also this does not grip the spigot in the proper manor, Keep the opening within the makers guide lines. Sorry to be picky on your first posting.
John
John English

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
Nick, we've all got those pieces from our early days and others we hold onto for one memory or another. They are good to look back on as time goes by and see how your technique and skills have changed.

Thanks for posting your first galleried turning, the finish look good and the shape works. The addition of the set in walnut discs is good and seems to be a good fit, no gaps or glue lines showing.

Maybe the grain alignment in each of the discs could have been arranged to flow with that of the Ash or each other but that is about all I can see to comment on.

Who was the luck recipient, Friend or family?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nick Prince

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »
Hi John.

Nick Prince

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »
Hi John

Can you translate the terminology.  What do you mean by "Scroll inserts"?

The Chuck in the picture is possibly smaller than it looks.  Its the tiny set that Axminster do that comes with 4 sets of jaws in a case.  I dont have it any more, I got the first of the new batch of K10's last month.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
Hi Nick, I am sure John will explain probably better than me. The scroll inserts are the ones you fix your jaws to.They should not protrude outside the
O/Dia of the Chuck body,all jaws have an optimum diameter that form a perfect circle this will give the jaws the best grip possible.I hope this makes sense. If not someone else might explain it better. I like your pieces and I agree with the comments. Regards John Smith 
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

Hi Nick,

That's a good size bowl, nice Ash and very nicely done and finished, was it only after the inserts were in and too late, did you notice the grain should have lined up, it happens to us all.

It has been noted the over large spigot, was that to be a foot and a size to carry the bowl or not. The other small detail you've a corner in the bottom of the bowl, it's not ease at first to get a flow with the change in direction from the side into base and keep bevel contact, you've done well and over time you'll master it.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »
Hi Nick,
John Smith has answered your question abouth the jaw inserts,
John
John English

Nick Prince

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
You see thats why I came here.  I already learnt two new things before breakfast.

I had not really considered the alignment of the grain, buts its a great point.
I also now understand what you mean about the spigot diameter/chuck jaws.  Now I have the K10 I think thats going to be easier to get right.

Oh and the recipient was a collegue from work who left to start her own training business and she was mighty happy with it.

Thanks for the comments all.