Author Topic: A new project  (Read 2159 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
A new project
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
I have a new project to do. I have been given an old 6" jointer that is in some need of restoration. There is no maker's mark or any feature that will aid identification. I had a quick look today and it appears that someone tried to restore it at some stage and put the cutter block in the wrong way round(!) So I took it apart to look at and the bearings were wobbling all over the place, so they may need changing. ;)
It is a belt driven machine and the motor that came with it has a label that says "for refrigeration only" so although it will be pretty cool when I get it running I may also install a different motor. There are 3 cutters in the block, chipped like anything but they do not appear to have ever been sharpened as they still have what looks like the original milling marks. So they may need a sharpen too. It also doesn't have a stand so will have to build one. But apart from all of these minor issues it is in good condition. I have a 10" planer thicknesser in the workshop but this one set up permanently will save me the time of stripping it down every time I use it. It has all of the guards but I don't think they are that good so I will fabricate some others. and there is nowhere for extraction so that will have to be built into the stand. When I get round tuit I will post a picture and others as I go along.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A new project
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »
That sounds like it's going to be a very handy piece of equipment, John, and as you say, despite having a planer/thicknesser, it's such a boon to have a dedicated jointer to hand. I'm envious!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 09:46:26 PM »
Are we going to get a photo story of the repair/rebuild?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:00:54 PM »
Hi
I have a myford PRII planer it's from the 60s/70s it has a 6" cut and a 3 blade cutter block and on a home made stand
If it will help you I can take a few photos just left me know the bits you want to see
Regards
John

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer DocJohn. I hope to get a couple of pictures tomorrow and post them here so that I might be able to get it identified. I had a rummage in the workshop today and think I have found another motor for it. In truth there is not a lot to it, the only moving part is the cutter block. Both tables are adjustable, the off feed table will be set to the cutters (once I have sent them to be reground) and the on feed table is adjustable for depth of cut. I did have a play with it today and noticed that when I tighten the off feed table it moves from the position as I screw the bolt, so I thought I might drill and tap for a couple of grub screws to go underneath and use them as fine adjusters before a final tighten of the bolts. The biggest job will be drifting the bearings off. 2 bolts hold each pillow block in place and a screw with a knob locks the adjustable table. It will all become clear when I post the pictures. I may also have a can of paint somewhere so might go the whole hog and make it look pretty too!

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »
Just taken some pictures, I am loading the first one up just to test and make sure I have got it right.

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
OK that works then so here is another one. You can see that the block has been mounted back to front. The drive pulley should be on the back of the machine and the guard should be mounted on the front with the fence at the back. Only 4 screws so that will be corrected when I change the bearings. Any ideas of the manufacturer?On this picture you can see the 2 bolts that secure the off feed bed, it is below these (as viewed) that I will drill and tap for a couple of grub screws, that will also give me a better or finer adjustment control when I come to remounting the beds and making sure they are set parallel to each other. I will not be able to change the angle of the on feed bed in relation to the block just the depth of cut so any adjustments will have to be made on the off feed bed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:55:47 AM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »