Author Topic: beechtextured bowl.  (Read 2621 times)

Offline wider

• gold
beechtextured bowl.
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:46:41 PM »
Work from the last few nights. This is a beech bowl textured using a Axminster tool. the bowl is 10x2 1/2 in size. all comments welcome.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
Re: beechtextured bowl.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
A nice looking bowl Dennis , well turned with a nice textured finish to it.
I personally think that you may have over textured it towards the outside edge. As your textured area looks a little too thick. Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
I personally think that you may have over textured it towards the outside edge. As your textured area looks a little too thick. Les
I'm not getting that impression at all; I've opened and enlarged the images and it looks fine to me.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
I'm not getting that impression at all; I've opened and enlarged the images and it looks fine to me.
Les

Les I was not refering to the texturing, i think that Dennis has done a great job on that.
I like the flow of the top sweeping curve but the flow of the bottom sweeping curve for me distracts your eye from the beauty of the bowl. As it does not follow the flow of the top and it gets too wide towards the outside of the bowl.
Its still a nicely turned and textured bowl and im sure that someone will love it. Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
Is this a vortex I see before me.

I like the texture work but I think something needs to draw it out a little. Scorching over the texture, a very light colour or something similar.

Or possibly light will do it from the right angle which is not apparent in the photographs.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:05:09 PM »
thank you all for your comments. here i hope is a few better photos of the bowl.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »
I like the concept of this Dennis. The only thing that distratct from a great piece is the presents of the knot, I feel it would have been better to fill the crack in the knot and then texture followed by a coulour which would highlight the texture and at the same tome hide the presents of the knot

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
thank you for the comments Derek. think i agree with you about the knot. but not sure about the colouring.