Author Topic: Danish Oil  (Read 4456 times)

Offline George

• iron
Danish Oil
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »
Hi, I wonder if somebody could give me some advice on the use of Danish Oil to finish a turning.  I've used it a few times after sanding down to 400 or 600 grit, applied three coats as per the manufacturers instruction but the final finish has not been what I expected.  It ends up looking like some cheap gloss varnish finish which I can improve slightly by dry buffing.  Could anybody tell me what is the best way to use Danish Oil?

Offline otterbank

• bronze
Re: Danish Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi George, I use Danish oil on most of my pieces. Sand to 240 or 320 first coat of oil. Cut it back with 320 and apply 3or4 more coats after each one is dry. All ways wipe off the excess after a couple of minutes apart from the first coat which I keep saturated for at least 10 mins. I then buff with the Beal mops, if I can’t get in with the mops some steel wool and the wax of your choice and then buff it up. I find this works for me, many other methods i would suspect.
Cheers
Michael

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
George the way I use Danish oil is this:- I apply the first coat liberally with a brush, wait for 20 minutes and thenwipe off. I then leave this to dry for 24 hrs at least. I apply another 4 or 5 coats with a cloth leaving each coat to dry for at least 24 hrs. after applying 5 coats I cut back gently with 0000 wire wool. I do this until I have applied 25 thin coats of oil, by this time you should have a nice even sheen, I then start applying wax polish by hand with a soft cloth. I am sure as Michael has said that there are other methods but I find the finish this gives me is superior to many others. (other's)Patience is the key word, don't rush or try to skip bits, do the job properly and you will be rewarded.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
What I would really like is a big dipping tank but I doubt I’d be able to afford filling it  ;)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
I don't think a dipping tank would make your finish any better, put it on too thick and not wipe it off and it goes sticky and is a real s*d to sort out.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:45:09 PM »
What brand of DO are you using? Not all DO's are created equal. I am currently liking Rustins. When I started turning I tried a few different finishes before settling on a couple of favourites, Rustins as mentioned and Ubeaut Shellawax. I also use Ubeaut eee if I want to give the DO a bit of a buff.

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline George

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Many thanks for all you help and suggestions guys, I'll certainly give them a try, if you are getting good results then your methods seem a lot better than mine (or should I say the manufacturers!). :)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
yep, here's another method......
Sand to 240....... without rings!
saturate with DO
Sand with 320.... with lathe at walking pace!
Repeat with more oil and 400 grit if you are a glutton for sanding
Next day wax with paste wax and buff or more coats of oil if you are a glutton for oiling.

Offline George

• iron
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
I'm using Colron DO at the moment Tony, I've no idea how that compares with other brands but from what you have said I think I'll try some of the other brands in the future.  I know that Rustins has a good reputation with it's finishing/paint products

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
i've used lots of different manufactures od danish oil and the best i've come across so far is from a company called Rye oils. it is excellent quality stuff and has no chemical nasties in it either as he has gone for the more natural approach in his formulation.

relatively inexpensive too as you are not paying for the brand like chestnut, liberon and rustins.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
i've used lots of different manufactures od danish oil and the best i've come across so far is from a company called Rye oils. it is excellent quality stuff and has no chemical nasties in it either as he has gone for the more natural approach in his formulation.

relatively inexpensive too as you are not paying for the brand like chestnut, liberon and rustins.

Another vote for Rye oils, I have been using this exclusively for the past year or so, inside and out, it really is great stuff.

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 01:47:26 PM »
The Rye oil looks like a very good deal. Does it have the same food a toy certs as Rustins. Couldn’t find info on the web site.
Thanks
Michael

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »
I "think" so but a quick email should cover that.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
not sure what it needs to be food safe but there is plenty of info on the page.

https://www.ryeoil.co.uk/shop/danish-oil-25litre/

to be honest i've used it for plenty of food stuff and i'm still here.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
i was (amongst others) a guinea pig for his danish oil recipe and got sent two rather than the intended one so have been using it for nearly two years now and would definitely recommend that people try it. i've not much left now so will be buying a 25ltr bottle and dicantering it into my 5ltr bottle for use.