Author Topic: Today I had an accident  (Read 4680 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Today I had an accident
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
I know I am the H&S person but today I had an accident at work. :-[  I cut myself, I do it all the time and consider it a hazard of the job, especially if you are a bit hamfisted like I am. But today I cut myself quite badly, it was during a demonstration and I ended up bleeding all over the place. I used up all of the plasters that were in my tool box, the old ladies in the audience were rummaging in their handbags and throwing plasters to me and the first aid kit of the hall where I was demonstrating was very inadequate. I ended up by winding a bit of parcel tape round my finger and that stopped the flow until it was time to load the car to go home and it started again.
   So a fresh bit of parcel tape and a glove and I got home without causing too much mess where I planned to sort it out with my workshop/home first aid kit. In response to what I found in my first aid kit at home, which I thought was pretty good can I please ask you all, before you have an accident, to please check through the contents of your workshop first aid kit?I admit to not regularly checking my first aid kit, I don't really care if my dressings are a bit out of date but today I found that on opening some of the dressings they just disintegrated because of their age. I normally only need a plaster or two but today I needed a lot more. I could have used a triangular bandage, I have 4 of those, or elbow dressings,2,or burn dressings, about 5, along with an assortment of different shaped and coloured plasters. None of which was any use to me as I needed a finger dressing. Tomorrow first thing, I am going to town to buy non fluffy dressings and tube-e-grip and a finger stall or two. I will also get some suture strips and  another tube of super glue for the first aid box. So a valuable lesson learnt. I will mark today as an anniversary on my calendar for next year and get in the habit of replacing my first aid stuff a bit more often. It would have been embarassing if it had been a student. o please, take it from me, it is time to check the contents of your first aid boxes.
PS. I should really have gone to hospital and had a couple of stitches put in but for reasons that I will not go in to that was not going to happen and I am happy with my ability to sort wounds out. I was lucky not to cut a tendon. So no washing up for a few day for me!!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Today I had an accident
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 11:47:39 PM »
what cut you? the item you were turning or the tool you were using?

i don't have a first aid kit as i don't need one.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »
I was H&S officer and the registered "First Aider at Work" for the school that I worked at for decades, and, being a part of a children's home, was inspected by all and sundry on very regular occasions. For that reason I got into the habit of inspecting the contents of every First Aid box on a monthly basis.
However, I left there a little over 3 years ago, when I bought new First Aid boxes for my workshop, but I must admit that I've not looked inside them since I bought them, so your little story has prompted me to check mine. Well done for "fessing-up", John!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:36:08 AM »
Well never thought of checking my first aid kit I'll be doing that this morning and sticking a date on it, to remind me to keep checking it.

Hope the finger is ok John

All the best

Ed

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »
If you make a habit of getting cuts, keep some steri-strips in the kit. 50mm x 4mm are a useful size. They provide good wound closure, are unlikely to irritate and as they're sterile won't risk infection from the likes of adhesive tape.
So cheap on eBay it's worth keeping several packets in stock.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
I have a 1st aid kit in case of accidents both to muself and when I have students (not needed for the later so far) but also use thin super glue for small cuts. It is regularly used in surgery so is perfectly safe. Not sure how anyone can say that they 'don't need one'

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »
4 points if I may:-
1. Keep your First Aid Kit where you can get it without fuss.  ie NOT in a drawer  but at the front of a cupboard, keep it topped-up and check date for creams and liquids and write the date on the lid.
2. Buy an Eyewash Station and keep it where you can get it with your eyes closed on the back of a cupboard door where it is easily accessible and free from dust. Again check dates and write on the lid.
3. Make sure your Tetanus jabs are up-to-date. The main source of Tetanus is in muck heaps and middens but who knows the history of that piece of hedgerow wood.

While it's all well and good being brave and avoiding A&E. It's not so sensible with penetrating injuries from which infection may spread quickly along tissue planes. I know there's often a long wait  but you're a long time dead or worse so disabled you can't work the lathe.

My credentials?  40+ yrs hospital medic
Turn Safely Nick

See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
John,
One of the items most prominent in my workshop First Aid cupboard is Germolene liquid skin. It stings like hell for a few seconds but quickly seals most cuts (not sure about your recent one though), I clean the injury with an alcohol wipe then apply it.  It’s worth a look at.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
My plasters never have the chance to go out of date I know some of the items in my first aid kit need replacing.
I am forever getting little nicks on my hands many don't always need a plaster but I stick one on anyhow as bloody is thin due to medication and the other thing is blood is a bugger to get out of wood and stains it very well especially after I have spent ages getting the finish I want

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
A timely warning, I cut my thumb yesterday. Not a major wound, but messy and, as is often the case with finger cuts, the plasters never seem to stay on - so it was back to the usual paper towel and masking tape!

As pointed out by several people above, this is NOT the best way to stop blood leaking out or infections getting in so I'll be looking at some of the suggestions and topping up my first aid box. It had never occurred to me to use superglue, so that's definitely on the list.

Thanks for the thread, very interesting
Duncan

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
but also use thin super glue for small cuts. It is regularly used in surgery so is perfectly safe.
It's certainly true that CA adhesives are used surgically, but do we know if surgical products are the same as we use in the workshop ? I'd like some reassurance on that given how many different grades and products of CA are available.

There's also a secondary consideration in the use of CA in wound sealing. In a surgical situation it's carried out on the patient by someone else who knows what they're doing and has assistance available if there's a problem. Trying it literally single handed risks making matters even worse if the wrong bits of skin get bonded.

There's a lot to be said for steri-strips.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
In reply to some of the comments. Nick it was not a case of being brave it was just circumstances at the time made a visit to hospital the wrong choice, so I chose not to go. I am not without experience of minor trauma so was happy with this descision.
 CA glue was invented during the Vietnam war and was used to litterally glue wounds together to get patients to a safer area without major blood loss. Having stuck myself up with superglue on more than one occasion I am confident that I do not have undue reactions to it (obviously you have to think about fumes etc) I was happy that my wound was clean and that I hadn't damaged anything important (apart from my ego)and so I was happy to take the actions that I did. We all make our own choices (this is basically what a risk assessment is) and accept the consequences. I thank you all for your concern and comments. on another point try buying one of the finger covers we used to have years ago, can't find any anywhere. So I am off to the workshop now to cut a finger off of a glove to use as protection. Hopefully if it works back to work tomorrow.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »
When training as a navigation officer I had to do extensive first aid that went as far as minor operations, dealing with amputations etc. Fortunately rarely had to use any of the 'knowledge' but it did give me some insight into what to do in case of emergencies. I would agre that steri strips are good but in the workshop they often don't work and just come off. Minor cuts can be fixed easily with low viscosity CA glue and I had a surgeon as a student not long ago who informed me that basicallt there is little or no difference between the suff used in the op room and the stuff I had. More serious cuts such as on the bandsaw etc should be dealt with more seriously but as John said you need to act within your own knowledge and be safe.

Pegte
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
John,

A lesson by example always works best, but I find it best not to demonstrate on one's self!

However a great point you bring out here. My First Aid kit hangs on the inside of my door, immediately visible so it can be seen by anyone opening or entering. Understanding that I may cause more than I minor cut, it is a 10 person Office sized kit.

That said, it's been there for about 10 years and never been opened, I also keep a pack of plasters for immediate use handy. So time to take a peak inside and make sure everything is still usable.

Hope you hand heals soon.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
Please note that my comments are about principles and not directed at anyone's post.

To papaphrase  Pete - Stay within your comfort zone.
If you don't want to use one of the superglues then don't.

99% of all bleeding will have stopped within 20 minutes of firm pressure.  Even arterial blood pressure is well below that which you can exert with your fingers and thumb.

If you feel that you are not up to basic First Aid THEN  get on a course - they're not expensive.
Everyone should know how to do CPR, where their nearest Defibrillator is and how to use it - it's very simple and you will save a life.

Remember that
If you don't know you know then you think you don't know
BUT if you don't know you don't know then you think you do

Turn safe....Nick

See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk