Author Topic: Elder  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Elder
« on: April 06, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
I have just acquired some hefty trunk sections of Elder Sambucus nigra from a neighbour (offered for firewood).  Is it a good turning wood or should I just cut it up for the woodburner?  Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Tim

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Elder
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
Hi  Tim....me too! I acquired mine about a year ago. Much of it was standing-dead, so dried rapidly; the remainder was still live, green timber. It was all cut into 1 metre lengths and the ends waxed, but all of the green timber split like mad, despite being stored in the shade, underneath overhanging trees. However, the standing dead wood is now quite dry and is yielding suitable pieces, although it's fairly bland. One major drawback with elder is the soft pith that it develops....every single log had either a very soft pith, or one that was already spreading decay into the heartwood.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »
Burn it! It is like tuning chhese!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »
Bit of fun to turn something quickly in green wood and leave overnight. Nature plays all sorts of tricks with it, warping, twisting, splitting. Not quite as bad as eucalyptus but close.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:13:09 PM »
Very many thanks for all your interesting and useful comments.  I will try rough turning part of the largest piece, which shows no sign of splitting yet,  and see what happens.

Tim

Offline Mayo Mick

• iron
    • View my site
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »
Very many thanks for all your interesting and useful comments.  I will try rough turning part of the largest piece, which shows no sign of splitting yet,  and see what happens.

Tim

You might post some pics Tim?
Hobbies include woodturning, photography & following Mayo GAA. Hope to see Mayo win Sam sometime...

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 10:18:39 AM »
You might post some pics Tim?

OK, hint taken ;) , will do; watch this space  :)