Author Topic: I'm a happy man  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
I'm a happy man
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:34:46 PM »
I got rid of six full dustbins and 46 full bags of wood shavings and a few off cuts of wood today.
I can now start turning again without fear of upsetting the wife and finding that she has stacked the lot infront of my workshop door.  ;D

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: I'm a happy man
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Les this is very important.................you have to tell the rest of us how you got rid of it all, tell me you didn't just fill that van up with it?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »
as long as it's just wood and no man made elements like resin then the best way to get rid of shavings are, a man who keeps chickens (before i moved i had a guy who could not get enough of the stuff), composting them but this takes time, or my favorite is fire as long as you have the space.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
Problem with shavings for livestock is that certain woods are poisonous including walnut, laburnum, yew and a lot of exotics. I get rid of some to my sister in law who is a vet nurse and so have to make sure that I don't mix the woods.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:50 PM »
Me thinks you are maybe not telling the whole truth.

Possibly you now have a happy SWMBO as well!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
Problem with shavings for livestock is that certain woods are poisonous including walnut, laburnum, yew and a lot of exotics. I get rid of some to my sister in law who is a vet nurse and so have to make sure that I don't mix the woods.
Pete

the chicken farmer never complained pete...

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:03:16 AM »
Les this is very important.................you have to tell the rest of us how you got rid of it all, tell me you didn't just fill that van up with it?

I normally load it in my son's series 3 land rover and take it to the dump as the dustbin men won't take it as green waste. The land rover was also used to collect trees but my son sold it ( I've disowned him) I had a friend come round and take it at a cost of a bottle of wine and a couple of Easter eggs.

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
A few years ago a local vicar used to get rid of mine (I have ni idea what he did with them) but since he died I now burn them.

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
I advertise mine on gumtree in the freebies section. They are gone within two days and collected as well.
Roger G

Offline Tim Cornwall

• iron
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »

I normally load it in my son's series 3 land rover and take it to the dump as the dustbin men won't take it as green waste. The land rover was also used to collect trees but my son sold it ( I've disowned him) I had a friend come round and take it at a cost of a bottle of wine and a couple of Easter eggs.

i find putting in the green waste and sticking grass clippings or leaves ,hedge trimmings on top gets it gone, only shavings and dust, any offcuts go on the logburner

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »
She certainly will be pleased Les. When I was converting that last lot I slipped the green waste dustman a crisp £5 note and it magically disappeared well it would have cost me to load it and take it to the tip as well as the time it would take loading driving and the unloading again. But for normal turning with less waste in the green bin and cover it

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
All my shavings go to my wife's horse yard, where they are used to pad horse boxes (and capture excrements). Never had any complaints, presumably the horses are clever enough to not eat the stuff. Off cuts go to friends with a wood burner.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
All my shavings go to my wife's horse yard, where they are used to pad horse boxes (and capture excrements). Never had any complaints, presumably the horses are clever enough to not eat the stuff. Off cuts go to friends with a wood burner.
.....much the same here....I have one friend who takes 2 or 3 bags of oak/ash/sycamore every week for his chickens and another who takes everything else for horse bedding irrespective of timber species....she's adamant that horses don't chew their bedding. As a payback, I get free eggs and cakes....one of them works at the local "Cake Crew" bakery where they make cakes for just about every large supermarket in UK.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »
les you lucky git...

i never even got any eggs from my chicken bloke...

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »
les you lucky git...

i never even got any eggs from my chicken bloke...
How does that work then Les?Horses don't lay eggs!!