Author Topic: Anyone tried these drives ?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Anyone tried these drives ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
The set is £5 cheaper if you buy on the Chronos website!

I know some other people rave about the steb type drives but I have yet to find a use for them that I can't do equally well with a four pronged drive so personally, I wouldn't buy the set.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
I have a set with a 3/4 x 16 thread. Picked them up in a tool sale. I have used them occasionally with a threaded stub arbour and they do work well.

That said I have had a sort out lately and these I have identified as something to sell on as I have other ways of holding between centres now.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:43 PM »
I just use a 4 prong drive in my chuck. One with a shoulder. Never really understood the point of the steb centre especially \t the price they cost.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
I use steb centres all the time, quick and easy and during production turning there is no need to turn the machine on and off all the time. The steb centre also comes into its own when doing tuition as a catch with a steb centre in place is never as catastrophic as one when using a pronged drive. Students are less likely to be panicked as all that happens is the wood stops going round. I also find it easier to remount and centre again that using a pronged drive.
I have just had a look at the ones shown above, one of the beauties of steb centre drives is you can reverse run the lathe using it, with a 4 prong unit there is a chance it will come out, looking at the ones shown it appears that the drive teeth are directional, for me that would be enough to put me off buying this set.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:52:19 PM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
OK I will give them a miss then , thanks