Author Topic: eucalyptus bowl  (Read 2323 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
eucalyptus bowl
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
small open bowl from dense eucalyptus burr finished with DO and a light polish

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: eucalyptus bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
Hughie,

that looks almost perfectly spherical so with another couple of holes and you'd have a bowling ball.

Very nice work.

Like most countries we have eucalyptus growing here but I've yet to see a burr on it. However if they look like that I think I might have to look harder.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

Hi Hughie,

That is one beautiful hollow form, (I see no bowl) perfect sphere, I like how you've got the grain to run round the opening and what a finish, just one coat DO and just polish that or a polish too, it is excellent, one very much like this made the cover on WOW yesterday in Spalted Holy 4.5" with 1" opening.  what size is this one, looks somewhat round that size, I like it so much well done and thank you for posting it.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »
The grain is not hard to align as it is part of a very large piece of around 40kgs. I just slice chunks off and with the resinous burr the grain lines are very pronounced. Finish is achieved by my usual method of rotary sanding with a enertia or random orbital sander.

I find using these, the finish of any given grit size  is several grits finer. So 120 will produce say 240 or better and 240  will up around 400+. The interesting aspect of using this type of sander is that the line of imporvement is not flat, but rather expotential.

On this one, no polish, DO on and wait 10mins and wipe off the excess and thats it.