Author Topic: Needs must  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Needs must
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »
I have an idea for a turned piece which will require holes to be drilled around the stand eventually to have something put into them. Up until now I have managed to to get away with using a spanner on the nut behind the chuck and resting it on the bed, this allowed for either 2,  3or 6 holes to be placed around whatever I was making. I could go about it by buying an indexing plate as my chucks don't have index holes in them, or make one.
A while ago I brought some bits and pieces second hand for the lathe and in the box was the the bracket for a Robert Sorby indexing support which had been modified as can be seen in the photo the bottom bracket had been replaced with a short flat bar. Now mine has two round bars so that is to short, that is not a problem as I have some longer flat bar to replace it with and will make a small block so it sits between the bars as well as making an upright.
The main part however took a little longer to make the index wheel luckily I had some 1/8" thick steel sheet cut this to a little over 6" diameter stuck on a circle with division lines of 24 as I felt that is the most I would ever want.
I drilled a hole in the centre after centre popping to make sure I drill exactly centre(well exactly as much as you can with just a drill press). I used a jig so that the division lines went straight across under a straight edge that sat on two dowels so it did not move and then drilled the outer index holes. Now after all this I wish I took more photo's.
Using the same jig I rotated the disc in front of the grinder this made it nice and round.
I took the opportunity at this sage to use a hole saw to enlarge the centre hole to fit my lathe.
So as of tonight I am at this stage along with the replacement bottom bar cut to length ready for a hole. Also note that so I don't confuse myself when using it I numbered every even numbered hole.
I will post more when I get around to it as well as the jig which will not be until late tomorrow as i have to got for scans tomorrow and I know I will be at the hospital for at least 3 hours what a pain
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:00:29 PM by Derek »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Needs must
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:25:26 PM »
This might help
Click on linkto see how to make an Indexing system from my Blog

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8714822332840880265#editor/target=post;postID=166327462850528236;onPublishedMenu=publishedposts;onClosedMenu=publishedposts;postNum=464;src=postname

Regards George
[/quote

Sorry George can't view it I get this message

"Your current account (My e mail address) does not have access to view this page.
Click here to logout and change accounts."

Not much more to make now as the index plate made just need to sort out the pin assembly

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »
I am not sure why that is.

Regards George

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
I get the same from following the link George.

Maybe we don't have Blogger accounts?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:44 PM »
I had exactly the same message, George.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »
I get the message that you dont get the message .It is a post on my Blog and I thought you would be able to just click on the link as I can.
Somebody might come up with the answer.

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
Same here, looks like you have to have an account to access.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
George

The link that you have posted is when you are login to your account.  You need this one http://wwwartistry-in-wood.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/making-indexing-system.html

A lot of nice work there George just taken me ages to find it  ;D ;D ;D

All the best

Ed

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
I posted how to make an index system, for next to nothing, way back in April 2014. You can find this if you go to the search button at the top of this page, then type in the subject line ‘indexing plates’ and in the author line ‘ malcy’. Then hit search at the bottom right and the entry will appear. A modification of this is to use the drive belt from a printer instead of a car timing belt. This means you can get many more index positions or the discs are smaller for the lower number of positions. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »
Thank you Ed

Regards George

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
Thank you All

I posted how to make an index system, for next to nothing, way back in April 2014. Malcolm.

As you can see I have made the wheel already and so far cost in materials zero the biggest thing is time which I mostly have plenty of.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:02 PM »
Job done I now have a dividing system all set up on the lathe now to turn something. May not look pretty as I did not have a 5/8" bar for the upright when I get some will remake this and the little arm out of metal.
There are three more photo's of the jig I used to drill the holes

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
A job well done Derek , I think this could be altered in small ways to be adapted to suit many different lathes. Well done. The protractor sheet would be useful to many of us, if it came from the internet how about sharing the link?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »
A job well done Derek , I think this could be altered in small ways to be adapted to suit many different lathes. Well done. The protractor sheet would be useful to many of us, if it came from the internet how about sharing the link?

It was one that I just found but unfortunately did not keep a record of where it came from, However when I posted this on another site one of the members gave out a link to a site where you can alter the number of divisions and also only shows a simple cross in the centre rather than like many I found where all the division lines meet in the centre to for a big black centre making it impossible to locate the true centre.

Anyway here is the link I was sent This one I bookmarked so not to loose it again

Dividing Wheel Generator If you press the lines to centre you will see what I mean about loosing true centre