Author Topic: cl4 record power lathe problem  (Read 4423 times)

Offline les sysum

• iron
cl4 record power lathe problem
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »
Hi everyone,i wonder if anyone could give me some advice on a second hand cl4 lathe i have not long purchased,problem being when turning and pressure is applied to the piece im trying to turn the speed slows down,i did have a bad catch and it seems worse since then and also seems alot noisier. I cant feel any movement in the berings but being a complete newcomer to woodturning i would be glad of any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: cl4 record power lathe problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »
You might have bent the shaft.Is it still under guarantee.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
Hi
If the lathe is green in colour then I doubt you have bent the spindle/ shaft I think what you
May have done is disturbed the bearing which is made of phosphor bronze.
Get hold of the lathes hand book and it will show you how to put it back to where it was prior to your catch.
It may have not been adjusted  on a regular basis.
Keep it well oiled and adjusted you should have no more problems. 

Offline les sysum

• iron
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
Hi George,thanks for your reply,its not under guarantee but i see you can buy a replacement shaft ,bearing and drive belt kit for about 95 quid.Do you think it could be anything else before i splash the cash lol.thankyou Les

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
Redtails might be right check that first .I think the bearings are tapered and might need ajustment as he says.I do not like the very thin shafts on these lathe's.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline les sysum

• iron
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
Thankyou Redtails for your reply,it is the green lathe so i will check the bearings first,i have got hold of a hand book and i see there is a video on youtube about changing the bearings so i hope it is one of these things.If not i dont no what else it could be unless it is motor related,is that a possiblity ?

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
Hi
George they are undersize for what you can do on these lathes with a little care and maintenance but they are solid ,it's the same with the bearings they will take some abuse with care and good maintenance.
I would try slacking the bearing ring nut off at the back of the spindle and undue the Allan screw at the back and tap the shaft forward  not too much though.
When you have  done this adjust to the manual.
Checking all the while that the shaft is free to rotate when you are close put some oil and start the lathe up keep checking that the spindle has not locked up.when you are happy with the adjustment try running on a slow speed you should have min oil escape.

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »
Hi like I say they are an easy lathe to maintain , keep them adjusted and lubricated and you will have no trouble.
Do not panic your self into buying new a new spindle and bearings be positive think of the timber you can buy with 92 quid good luck

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 07:32:31 PM »

Hi Les,
           Silly question from me is the drive belt correctly adjusted ?

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 07:43:25 PM »
Hi Les,
John just beat me to it. But as well as the belt being tensioned properly, is it clean.  Belts not used for a while tend to get 'shiny' especially if there's been a build up of dust on them. Try rubbing it gently with very fine abrasive to give the rubber good purchase on the pulleys.
Good luck,
Paul
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline les sysum

• iron
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Not a silly question John,as i said im totally new woodturning and i have not got an engineering background either lol,the belt seems ok and it does not seem to be slipping either,thankyou

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
Hi
Have you sorted lathe headstock out ok or to be precise the spindle and bearing ?

Offline les sysum

• iron
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »
Not yet redtails but thanks for asking.I will change the spindle and bearings very soon ,it can do no harm,what i did notice when i looked again was the grubscrews in the bottom pully were loose so i have replaced those and the slipping seems to have stopped.Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply it has helped me out alot in knowing what to look out for in the future and i warn you all ,it wont be the last time i will be asking for your advice lol.Changing the subject does anyone turn fir tree wood,i found two lovely pieces but i have heard some people say its not good for turning,any thoughts ? thank you Les