Author Topic: Riveted  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Riveted
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »
This is the second attempt at decorating with the airbrush and having brought my new one which is a better quality I needed something to have a good go at.

Anyway this is my attempt at Industrial piece do you think I should follow through with this theme.

The bowl I believe is Maple of Sycamore, sealed with sander sealer before airbrushing the Pattern and finally a couple of coats of Acrylic Satin Lacquer

C & C most welcome

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Riveted
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
I'm glad that you added the profile shot because it emphasises just how well you got the three-dimensional look to the steel plates and rivets. A great job.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »
I think the square clashes with the round of the Bowl

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »
I think both Les and George make good points. The imitation industrial look is great, but the overall impression is that there is a conflict between the look and the shape. Having said that, it's definitely something worth exploring further, maybe with different patterns on the painted bit.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:01 PM »

The concept is very good Derek and the shading is very subtle with a good choice of colours ..... next step
  perhaps an off centre bowl.
  Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
Like the effect Derek  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:09:33 PM »
Thank you all. I seem to have mixed feelings from all the places I have posted this in regards to the square shape to the round bowl.

I did however sit with a print out of a double ring and sit drawing in different configurations of the plates and rivets and this seemed to be the best of them as some just looked to cluttered with either to many plate lines or way too many rivets.
I do have another idea for metal plate but as one large piece which I think may benefit from on off centre bowl. That will have to wait as I need to make 16 pegs and also paint a skull and flames on a RC car for the great grandson he saw this and now I have I can do that OOOPS I think I have just let myself in for something now.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
Most of the critiques that sound negative are based on personal taste. Quality of work etc isn't an issue. One mans meat is anothers poison so keep doing what you feel good about. At the end of the day whilst there are certain basic rules regarding design etc style and the look of a piece is personal. I would prefer to see this for real as I think the angles of the photograph distort the square and it would look alot better in real life. The colouring and finish are, for me, great and you need to keep pushing the boundaries and doing things different. Too much bland all the same stuff out there. 

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
Thank you Pete

I do appreciate all comments and have been doing this long enough to sort through personal taste and faults and yes I can see the faults but then I take every piece as a learning curve as well as just simply having fun as this to me is just a hobby. So why is it that I now have two sheds full of blanks ::) ::) ::)

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
like the colouring on this piece Derek, very effective fella
cheers
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
Derek,

I've commented on this elsewhere, but to say it again I love the industrial feel of the artwork, very boilerplate.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:42 PM »
Thank you Andy an Bryan