Author Topic: Blackwood bowl  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
Blackwood bowl
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:58:43 AM »
Turned from an old blackwood limb crutch and measures 150mm by 100. Limb had a couple of holes from our local wattle grub which can leave holes the size of a mans finger. Grub holes filled with casting resin coloured with coffee grounds then finished with Shellawax and polished with eee ultrashine.
C&C welcome

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Blackwood bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:19:55 AM »
I really like this the wood is quite something.

Great finish Tony

All the best

Ed

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »
Tony, Wow thats a spectacular piece of wood, full of colour and character, great finish, a winner all round.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
have to agree about the wood lovely piece with so much depth to the colour of it not very often do we here in the UK have many pieces like it. Like the bowl and a great finish

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
Thanks  Ed, Hughie and Derek.   
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
love it. uncomplicated shape shows of the wood beautifully.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
Holes the size of a mans finger, if we are lucky we get beetle holes 2mm across.

And good to see someone else using coffee grounds to fill things. The colours in this are so rich, it's almost like looking as a swirling cup of dark coffee.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments Dragonfly. I have a friend with a few dead blackwood trees on his farm. The trees are somewhere between where the grubs have finished with them and before rot completely consumes them. The wood is hard and dry which makes turning slow and the grain orientation in a crotch piece like this this means a fair bit of sanding. But I find the results well worth the effort and now seek out this sort of wood.

Tony