Author Topic: Yew Goblet  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Yew Goblet
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
While the Oil finish was drying on the coloured Chestnut burr I made this goblet as I wanted to do a spiral on a stem.

Measures 7" X 3". I did have a catch which wrecked the foot but managed to find a piece of yew and roughly match that to the rest as I had put too much in to the spiral Ok 15 minutes into the spiral. Finished with lemon oil and woodwax22

C & C welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Yew Goblet
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »
I like the overall shape of the bowl but the foot is at least half the diameter it needs to be both aesthetically and for stability. I assume you used a spiralling tool to do the stem?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
I like the shape of the top bit, but as Pete says, the foot is way too small, especially for a sturdy stem like this one. It just looks out of balance.
With a hard timber like yew, you can make the stem at least 1/3 thinner than it currently is, that would also improve the balance (but the foot would still be too small. Generally it's a good idea to have the foot just slightly smaller than the top.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
I like the shape of the top bit, but as Pete says, the foot is way too small, especially for a sturdy stem like this one. It just looks out of balance.
With a hard timber like yew, you can make the stem at least 1/3 thinner than it currently is, that would also improve the balance (but the foot would still be too small. Generally it's a good idea to have the foot just slightly smaller than the top.

The foot needs to be at least the same diameter, sometimes a bit bigger dependng on the shape of the bowl.  Very rare that it is proportionally right if the foot is smaller than the bowl.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
Thank you all for the comments. The foot does look very small in the photo but in real life it is larger but still could be even bigger. The rim is 3" where as the foot is 2 1/4".
The reason the stem was left at this thickness is that if the spiral went wrong it gave me a little to play with and as there is quite a bit of side pressure on to it when forming the spiral

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
Hi Derek

In the botrtom pic you can see tha the top of the spirals are flat not round and very rough.
Must try harder  :D

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »
Hi Derek

In the botrtom pic you can see tha the top of the spirals are flat not round and very rough.
Must try harder  :D

Regards George

This is one of the problems that I have found when using a spiralling tool. I seem to get a better result when making them by hand

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDD0ZQzPNt8

This is the Man to look at

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »
Derek,

If it was glass, it would be a very Georgian shaped wine glass, the spirals would be inside the stem, but poetic licence and all that.

The spiralling tool does round over the tops of the spirals if you let it, but it does need a bit of practice.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
The match of the foot looks too good to be a seperate piece of wood. But even so there are still sanding marks on it, you need to do a final sand with the grain to remove these. Not a bad attempt though.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 01:52:10 AM »
Thank you both. It always surprises me at the amount of sanding marks that always show their ugly head when a photo is taken. May have to take a photo before adding a finishing coat ;D