Author Topic: Been Playing with Colour  (Read 3988 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Been Playing with Colour
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
These have been airbrushed with Golden Artist Colours - Sorry not posted for a while

C&C's welcome

All the best

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Been Playing with Colour
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »
Sorry Ed all the texturing spoils it for me

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
These have been airbrushed with Golden Artist Colours - Sorry not posted for a while

C&C's welcome

All the best

Ed

My first reaction was 'too much texture' but then I looked again and found it fascinating-and surely that's the sort of reaction art should invoke. Proper Job  ;D

Mike

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:25:58 AM »
Thank you for your comments George & Mike.

Yes I agree there's a lot of texture, but to get the interference paints to give this tonal effect it only seems to  work on a dark textured background.

The post was a bit of a test to see what people thought.

Thanks again

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
Well, there are aspects here that I do like very much. I don't think it's too much texturing. The tricky bit are the boundaries between the clean surface and the textured surface. I think this works OK on the first two pictures, it doesn't work so well on the last one, the edge looks a little untidy. Right now I am not even sure what you could have done to prevent that, with the way the two surfaces meet.
I especially like the colour on the second bowl. A strong statement, yes, but very striking.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
Ed I like the type of textured surface you are applying and I like the colours. What I don't like are the boundaries that are visible within the textured areas, I think those bits spoil it. In anser to Fuzzy's comments , you could have a small untextured band between the two surfaces but I think that too would not look quite right.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
The way I disguise between the texture ,colour and plain wood it to make a very small groove and burn it with formica

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
The way I disguise between the texture ,colour and plain wood it to make a very small groove and burn it with formica

Regards George

Beat me to it LOL. Just going to suggest that. Old bank card works as well

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »
Old bank card works as well
Hmm, never knew that, and very handy to know, as I seem to have trouble finding any proper formica. I've tried a few other methods, but they didn't work so well.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »
Just don't spin too fast or the card melts. I use one on face work but a guitar string for spindle work with a couple of turned handles for safety

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
Yes, I've also got guitar strings and curtain strings (cables?) in varying diameters with wooden handles, but I've always struggled with burned grooves on faceplate work. I made myself a tool from a piece of aluminium with a rounded nose, mounted in a wooden handle, but this has to almost go to the melting point of the metal before it burns the wood.

Now, whilst the trick with the burnt line is certainly a good one, I am not quite sure how Ed could have used it on the third bowl, as the burnt line would have to be right on the edge, essentially taking the edge away.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »

Like the effect Ed..... It looks like you have gone too near the edge with the texturing.... We have found that interference
  paints will work on a flat surface as either a highlighter or over a black base depending on the effect you are after, we use
  mars black as in Marbling or for a different effect and not so bold  carbon black or charcoal. Interference differ
 slightly from iridescent, interference play with the light more and depending on the angle viewed it will flip its colour due
 to the titanium or similar added whilst iridescent are mainly mica ' that though is how we understand it. We have also found
 either of the above can be mixed with normal acrylics which will pop the host paint .

Kind Regards Di Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 03:51:59 PM »
Hi Ed,
I like the texturing and colours.
I agree with the other comments regarding defining the textured areas at the rim and the centre bowl section.
I would cut a very shallow step to define top edge of the bowl section to just below the depth of the texture to give a clean demarcation. At the outer rim a shallow v-cut would do the same
Regards
Ken

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
I love the colours and like the textures, but the only thing that grates a little for me, is the sudden geometric patch or two within what seems an otherwise random texture.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 11:05:32 PM »
Thank you all for your comments

These will need a bead or something to create a break from the texture to the rim I'll do something about that on the next attempts.

Well Les your sharp eye as picked up the shapes within there's another random pattern within the random textured on one and a cross on the other  :)

I'll post the next one once done.

Thanks again

All the best

Ed