Author Topic: Dying again  (Read 6490 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Dying again
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »
This Forum apears to be dying once again very little activity and very little new stuff going up.
Are members not interested cant be bothered or what,
Have a look at the Gallery and take one example a Resin H/F by Tony and Di 322 views and only six members took the trouble to comment so what is the point of putting stuff up.
If you people want to benifit from seeing new work I sugest you start taking more interest and encouriging those that take the trouble to put up new work.
Members like Tony and Di are a big insperation to all of us but without some encouregment you will lose them.
Look back at the history of this and other Forums the top turners that used to frequant them and how many bother now not a lot.
Please excuse the poor spelling.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Dying again
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Yes George, you are right. The trend now is to go to Facebook, Instagram and the like and post tons of stuff totally unrelated to wood work. I reckon that the sheer amount of holiday photo's, BBQ's and 'look at me' postings will send tem back to straight forward forum.    Eventually, don't hold your breath.
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »
It is a bit disheartening when you post something and see the number of views compared to responses. I post very little now as it seems that most people simply don't want to give an opinion.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:17:45 PM »
That is interesting Kevan could you please give some examples of when someone has been criticised for their lack of knowledge and where the more friendly place is.

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:34 PM »
Hi Keven

I have just been looking through your posts and found this one 

I love this forum as a beginner as you can ask the daftest question and get a load of great help and information.

Kevin

I am suprised you have changed your opinion of the Forum

Regards George

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
As a beginner I marvel at the items and the knowledge is certainly here but I think one problem is that work shown is just too good. Everything is perfectly done with many different techniques. Could there be a new boys forum? I know that everyone has been helpful when I have asked silly questions but I need real basics.
I would like to see examples, in the gallery for instance, as to why something is better taller than shorter, heavier or thinner, lipped or not. The rogues gallery if you like. Maybe a knowledge page of common questions for the beginner?
You only get an active forum when you can encourage new input. Easy to say hard to achieve I know.
What about a tutorial section?
Just my ramblings. :o
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
The thing about good quality work it gives you something to aspire to and ideas that you can not copy but use as insperation.
If you want to know things the thing to do is ask if you dont feel confident to as on an open Forum PM the turner you think would have the info you need.
I think having a novis section would not help you improve and how do you determin who is a novis.
Also I am a great beleaver in tuition from a good Pro it is a short cut to getting it right being self taught is taking the hard road

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
As a beginner I marvel at the items and the knowledge is certainly here but I think one problem is that work shown is just too good. Everything is perfectly done with many different techniques. Could there be a new boys forum? I know that everyone has been helpful when I have asked silly questions but I need real basics.
I would like to see examples, in the gallery for instance, as to why something is better taller than shorter, heavier or thinner, lipped or not. The rogues gallery if you like. Maybe a knowledge page of common questions for the beginner?
You only get an active forum when you can encourage new input. Easy to say hard to achieve I know.
What about a tutorial section?
Just my ramblings. :o
You seem to be talking about design rather than quality of turning and that is a mine field. I am fortunate in having a top class designer as a collaborator but many of my pieces aren't seen as 'good' by turners though non turners seem to like them. It is very much a subject that is a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder. If you are talking about quality of turning then as George says a day with a good tutor can open your eyes a lot. Also remember that what you see in a photograph on here isn't the same as what you see in the flesh, often it can be either better or worse when seen up close. There is a lot of quality work as you say but remember that everyone who produces that also has a lot of rejects and a history of failures.

Pete

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 04:16:12 PM »

After posting on the forum for 4 years , over this time we have noticed ups and downs but this is the longest dry spell
  since joining... Don't know what the answer  is.... but when newcomers come on we feel the forum should show more
  encouragement than criticism, I see as a easy formula something like,  e.g. I like this piece but from a personal
  point of view I would prefer to see a smaller foot.

Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
The trouble with a forum is you cannot see the face of the person replying and therefore it is easy for some people to pass comments which can be misconstrued. Sometimes you need to see a face to understand the meaning intended.Raised eyebrows with a smile does not come across very well on a forum such as this. But we are talking of different purposes, George's original question was about the lack of participation amongst those that view submissions. The tally figure is also a misnomer as some of the count could be from the same member looking to see if any further comments had been made on a post, but I do take the point that anonymous views largely outnumber the comments made. The phrase about leading a horse to water etc. springs to mind. From my personal position, my currently hectic lifestyle gives me time to look but not enough time to formulate and write in depth sensible replies, I always try to say something positive when I do comment ,as constant negative comments can cause deep unseen damage ( I speak here from first hand experience). But there is something else that has to be considered, many of us earn our living at turning and I know that most of us live far enough apart not to influence or be influenced by other's sales but there is always the feeling that you do not want to give too much away as your own work is unique and you don't want others copying. Having worked at a local show all weekend my eyes are drooping as I sit here writing this so I will not be looking at any other posts this evening............and so to bed!! :) :) :)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »

After giving this topic some more thought and picking up on comments we think ( its only think )that perhaps newcomers
   and others don't feel experienced enough to make any comments or posts. But and its a Big But we all had to start
   somewhere and we all had to make our first post yes we know it can be daunting but we were all newbies once. Diane
   has had no art lessons can't draw  for toffee  ::) and trying to work out the dot dot dots when wonting something specific
   e.g. Ship  ??? can be a real challenge. Personally I'm  self taught turner so this was our way of self discovery. If we had had
   lessons in the first place perhaps we would have progressed quicker at the beginning. Like me using a scraper for the first 18 months  ::) wondering what the round shinny bars were for... other turners suggested try a skew .... thought they were
  for making dove tails  ;D ;D. At the end of the day make that first post and join in most of all keep it fun.
  Think what Picasso and Lowry from the art world went through rather radical me thinks.
  Kind Regards Tony Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:48:47 PM »
This thread was started not about posting but about the lack of comments on the posts that are on here.
I am getting to the point like many before me that it is just not worth bothering to post work if nobody takes the trouble to comment.
I dont put work up here to show off I put work up here in the hope that it will inspire others.
Without comments I can only think that I offer no insperation to others so why bother.

Regards George

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
I am one of the guilty ones who look but rarely comment. As a rank amateur, the reasons are that there is so much good stuff posted that I could make few comments other than to say I like it or not - I certainly wouldn't feel in most cases that I could say that something is "wrong" or in some way lacking as opposed to simply not to my taste.
The work of Les (Gwyntog) and George (GBF) particularly appeals to me but there are many others whose work I admire without  necessarily wishing to emulate.

As regards posting pictures of my own work for critique, the main problem is that I think I already have a pretty good idea of what's wrong with them, but don't have the time\motivation\aptitude to systematically work through the required improvements. That is clearly all about priorities, and perhaps forum exposure would push me into a more systematic approach, but I realise that perhaps the best solution would be to take lessons until I really do need that extra level of critique. Lessons are presently being considered!

So....the question is, do the members want a lot of beginner's questions and comments, bearing in mind that the professionals who are best placed to deal with such are already very busy with their business and private lives?
Duncan

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
None of us kn.opw it all Duncan and all of us can learn from others be they beginners or experts. So called 'beginners' questions and comments are as valuable as anyone elses and so as far as I am concerned ask away. Part of the purpose of the AWGB and hence this forum is to pass on knowledge and encourage people so your input is as valuable as anyones.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:26:16 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
Hi Duncan taking your points one at a time.
Hi Duncan

You dont seem to value your comments you say you can only comment that you like or dislike something what is wrong with that.If you dislike something or think it does not work say so.Example recently I put two bowls up one green one Blue everybody liked the Blue but said the green did not work for them I am not offended far from it I now know the green does not work so I wont do anymore.

You say you dont want to put up pics of your own work because you already know what is wrong with it that is being lazy because it takes no longer to do it right than to do it wrong.
A few posative comments about the errors you are making might inspire you to do better

Of course we want a lot of begginers comments and questions that is what we are here for and dont forget we have all been beginers and were glad that others answered our questions.
As I have said before if you are not confident to ask questions on the open Forum there is always the PM you would be suprised how many questions I get asked by PM

Regards George