Author Topic: Charnwood W730 Bandsaw  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Danny

• iron
Charnwood W730 Bandsaw
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »
Hello all,
Has anyone used or bought this bandsaw I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Danny

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Charnwood W730 Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
I bought a Charnwood table saw a couple of years ago and I would honestly say it was rubbish and a waste of money. I had to reset the table saw as it burnt rather than cut and then I replaced the blade to get a half decent cut. Accuracy was non existent. I got rid of it and replaced it with a more expensive Bosch table saw. Best thing I ever did. So I would not touch any Charnwood equipment now after that experience. Spend some more money on a better quality machine. Malcolm.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »
I had a similar experience to Malcy, with a Charnwood planer/thicknesser. The machine was impossible to maintain accurately because the top outfeed table was set a a very slight angle to the infeed. When I discussed this with Charnwood, they told me to slacken off the table's securing screws and adjust the table, but I pointed out to them that it was fixed in position with dowels.....so they said to ditch the dowels. I did as they suggested, and now i have top adjust the outfeed table every time I use the blessed thing (thankfully, that's a rare ocurrence).
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:47:20 PM »
Danny

I have a big Charnwood bandsaw I've had it for 3 1/2 years and it has serve me well. Most of these like other brands are made by Burt.

Charnwood are rubbish to deal with, mine arrived damaged but usable, it took them three months to sort it out and that was only after me telling them I pass the matter on to my solicitors.

Ed

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
Many thanks to you all your comments are greatly appreciated.

I am now looking at the Record BS 300E it looks a better machine.

Dan

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
I am no fan of Record but they do good Bandsaws as do Axminster but Record seem to be the best value

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »
Thank you George.