Author Topic: Which Chainsaw?  (Read 5272 times)

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Which Chainsaw?
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:02 PM »
Hi guys,

I now seem to have a garage full of chunky logs. I borrowed a chainsaw from a friend but the front handle started falling off after the 2nd cut! (I was a cheapy job from netto, but unused up to this point!) I figure I'd best buy my own. If that's what happens to the cheap ones then I'd rather save my limbs and the rookie tax by getting something a little better (but not too hugely expensive either). Any tips on a good model?

I've been considering this one: http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttl632chn-40cm-35cc-petrol-chainsaw/3147h

I'm hoping this size will be adequate for the biggest logs I need to cut. It looks like going any bigger goes into the professional level, with a much larger price tag. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Which Chainsaw?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
I use an electric one in my workshop very quiet

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »
I went for a day with mark Hancock a while ago and he uses a Electric Chainsaw for indoors so I bought one when I got home and haven't looked back. You get what you pay for in this market and for people that say it's not used very often so don't want a good one, firstly take a look at the chain adjuster. If it's got one of the twist action tensioners then leave it alone, they will come loose during work. You need one with a screw adjustment and locking nut, also when it's new the chain will stretch quite a bit so you will need to check it quite frequently. Most of the good ones have an Oregon chain which is quite durable. Mine is Husqvarna which I bought from my local groundworks shop, if you have one near you then go and talk to them I am sure they will be very helpful. I have no idea what your budget is but we have a company down here that repairs chainsaws, it's in the middle of nowhere and you probably wouldn't give it a second look but their knowledge is huge and the one I bought from them secondhand is still going 30 years later so you could go down this route also. I am sure you will gets lots of advice from this forum but just be aware that chainsaws are quite lethal devices, you probably don't need me to tell you that.  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »

Regards George
Which one do yiu use George? Been thinking of getting one but so may out there. Was thinking of the Makita one as they are usually a pretty good brand?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »
My son Mark has got a Makita and he is well pleased with it

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »

Regards George
Which one do yiu use George? Been thinking of getting one but so may out there. Was thinking of the Makita one as they are usually a pretty good brand?

Pete

I've got the makita and love it.  I had a real cheapy chinese jobby to start with and it wore out rapidly (the chain oil applicator broke, the brake broke and a plastic cogwheel melted and stripped).  The makita is much more robust and plenty powerful enough for me.  I've used it to cut up some 24" diameter red oak with no problem.  Nice and quiet too!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Thanks George and Chris. I'll go for that one then.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
Hi Howling Baboon,
I hope you have got or will have factored in the cost of PPE - essential if you're using a chainsaw. My vote would be for a Stihl or a Husqvarna if you plan to cut logs on a regular basis.
David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm​ not sure whether I'm ever likely to need to use it away from power sockets. For instance if I've been offered wood by a tree surgeon. Do you guys ever get this situation where you need to take your saw along to a felling site?

On the other hand, I live in the suburbs and a quieter option might maintain peace with neighbours and I could take it down the workshop and just clear up the mess with the rest of a sessions shavings. Torn...

Don't worry, I'm sorted with PPE.

Cheers

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
You will find that more often than not the tree surgeon will provide the cuts you need/want for a small extra fee. After all, if he doesn't cut it up for you, he'll have to cut it up for firewood, so it makes little difference to him.
I have an electric McAllister from B&Q and it's done a good job so far, but I can see its lifetime as limited (it's done some very hard work over the last 3 years). Although the electric ones are less noisy than the ones with combustion engines, they are by no means quiet. i am not sure what model George has, but mine makes quite a racket and I wouldn't want to use it without ear protectors for any period of time.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
i agree with david, if you are needing to use one regularly go with a husky or stihl.

i have a stihl 084av with a 3' bar on it and it will go through anything as long as you keep the chain sharp. great for bifurcating logs down the middle so i can assess the grain and then mark out the bowl blanks.

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
I'm not sure my budget will stretch to a stihl or husq I'm afraid. Getting sold on the idea of an electric although I failed to think earlier about how much hassle it would be to actually get the large logs back into the the van again and then to the workshop (anyone else got a bad back yet from hunking logs around?) I guess I should just take them there and bypass my garage at home (limited storage space though). Been considering knocking up some kind of mobile winch using some of my old climbing/caving kit :)

Just been looking at this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-cs1500-45cm-2400w-electric-chainsaw-230v/6285k#product_additional_details_container

The self sharpening feature sounds useful. Anyone know about the reliability of these. Same price as the Bosch you suggested Tim.
Cheers

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
I would also second the Makita chainsaws. I have owned a petrol model for a dozen years or so and it's still going strong. I don't use it all that often but apart from buying new chains for it, I haven't had to do much else. I think it will be due for a new bar some time soon but that's not unreasonable give the amount I have used and abused it!

A chainsaw expert once told me the Makita DCS models are rebranded Dolmar models, which are supposed to be reliable.

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »
Hi Howlingbaboon
I have the oregon chainsaw you posted a link to, I haven't used it lots but it's cut some 16" sycamore bowl blanks with no problems. I had a bosch electric chainsaw before and it seems a lot more rugged, however I'm sure the other guys will be right, saying stilh and huskies will be in another league.
I hope this helps (a bit at least)
John

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Be careful of the Cheap bottom end Husky as it's not made by them, it's just a badged Chinese import. It works well enough but bit difficult to start at times, I borrowed I think it was a model 175 for a month or two before buying one and difference is chalk and cheese to the next model up.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian