Author Topic: Practice with camera  (Read 2896 times)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Practice with camera
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »

We had some dipping stuff left over from the other night and only 2 colours left so had a play over Easter.
   Cannot call it marbling so will call it dipping. Yes I know there are cracks in it Tony giving me his rejects again.
   The exercise was to practice with the camera and dipping. As always turned by Tony
   Comments are as always welcome.
   Kind Regards Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Practice with camera
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
It has a grainy look in that first photo? Personally I like that. Was it a result of the 'dipping' or just a trick of the light?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »
What looks like the flash refection spoils the picture either try to take it without or use another light source that is to the front left or right as  highlight lighting. This means that you may still have to use other lights as soft lighting It lookd likr the flash has also given you a very sharp shadow line under the piece so defusing it may help.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:49:49 PM »

Thanks Pete .... There is a spot near the top first pic which is the gain showing through and also I think a small drop
  of iridescent has separated and the light has picked it up, although the bright bit cannot be seen by the eye in normal light.
  Kind Regards  di  Tony

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »

Thanks  Derek....I have tried all your suggestions , the soft box lights give no depth of colour so had a go at defusing
 the small light and pointing it at the background not at the piece and defused the flash, think perhaps got a bit to close
 too the piece which has not helped the shadow at the bottom. . Think I will have to have some lessons on photographing very shinny pieces. The only thing not tried yet is to take the pics before Tony sprays them but it is the spray that brings out the
 depth of colour.

I will have to keep trying.
  Kind Regards di Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »
Well dipping works Di  :)

A pro photographer told me to try using a polarising filter when taking pictures under light and that seems to help when I remember to put it on the camera  :)

Ed

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
A polarising filter will only reduce some reflections and remove certain types of scattered light. That may help control contrast in some situations, but it's not a universally helpful tool and needs an understanding of the issues involved to get the best from.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »

For the want of a better name Ed we will call it dipping , it needs some more refining and because I had already thinned
 the left over paints from something else they could be a bit thin for this purpose its more placing the paint (thin) than
 drawing the paints together (thinner ) just ordered some more paint to have another go.

Thanks Ed ,,, Thanks APH.... A short while ago had to take some photos for something else so improvised diffuser
  on single light and on flash which turned out better ... think it was a chance shot but have not been able to reproduce it
since right day ..right time.. right light
   will have a look on the net regarding filters and the different types available. Perhaps a different backdrop too.
  Kind Regards di Tony

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
will have a look on the net regarding filters and the different types available.
I really wouldn't worry about filters at all, they'll just be an unnecessary distraction.

The key factors when shooting turned items are;

1. Lighting
2. An appropriate backing
3. Making sure they're sufficiently sharp and clear.

1. Is potentially quite a complex subject, but at it's simplest can just be about placing the item in a suitable light then controlling the reflections with sheets of card.
2. Is very much a matter of taste. For a plain background, something smooth without creases or folds helps a lot.
3. If at all possible use a tripod. Then managing the lighting becomes easier and more controllable, plus you can use longer shutter speeds to allow greater depth of field. It also allows focus stacking which can be another approach to getting more of the item in sharp focus.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »

Thank You Very much APH...I can tick most of the boxes.. Tripod... Continuous soft light box x2.... They seem to look better 
 on a light grey background, it doesn't seem to reflect as much as the white. As yet  have not tried the longer shutter speed,
  Tony has just brought  2 plain wood pieces in to be photographed so to start with will have a go at these.
  Kind Regards di Tony

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »
Di,

these might only be you playing with the camera but I like the almost minimalist effect you've created. And is it a very light sparkly background you've created with the black paint to start with. It almost seems like a very faint star field.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

Thank You Bryan..... the upside of using iridescent / interference is they can separate from the main mass on the black
  and so colour the whole piece with just a hint of reflective flakes ... sometimes though the camera and lights do not pick
  it up at all.
  Kind Regards di and Tony