Author Topic: malibur teak pot pourri bowl.  (Read 1320 times)

Offline wider

• gold
malibur teak pot pourri bowl.
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I was asked to turn something from the timber of HMS Trincomalee. it is coming up to there wedding anniversary and they wear married on the ship so fitting gift. I also have the authenticity certificate for it as well. the timber is Malabar teak. if the timber is the original then it could be 400 year old timber. the Pouria bowl is 5x2 in size.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:26:15 PM by wider »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: malibur teak pot pourri bowl.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
I'm surprised Pete has not been in and  commented on this yet, recycling old timber is his thing and I'd have thought this was up his street.

I must be something to be trusted to work with a piece of history like this, you've done well and I hope that the gift is properly appreciated.

Truthfully I thought I'd recognise teak, fresh cut or silvered with weathering, but I would never have recognised this as teak, the colour variations in it are beautiful. I've only worked with Teak  as carpentry work, not turning but understand it is fairly hard on the cutting edge due to the silica content, but this piece has been to sea, so there will be salt soaked into it making it even harder to on the edges. How was it to work?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
Been in and out a bit getting ready for a quick trip to Cornwall so missed this one, sorry. As Bryan said, beautiful wood. I have found really old wood often takes on a colour and character of its own as this seems to have. Lovely piece that should appeal to both halves of the marriage.
#
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
thank you for your comments.