Author Topic: Grind angles: In at the deep end.  (Read 2109 times)

Nige7

Grind angles: In at the deep end.
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
Off out to the workshop to put a proper grind on my Record bowl gouge having discovered they come with a 35 degree grind so you can put your own grind on them.  This makes sense as it means there is less metal to remove considering we probably want something a lot steeper. 

I'm going to start at 45 degrees and try that out then maybe buy a blank and take that to 50 degrees. Seems you can't have too many gouges :)

Nigel

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Grind angles: In at the deep end.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
With over a dozen skews, I'd it's not just gouges you can have too many of!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nige7

Re: Grind angles: In at the deep end.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
LOL, I have bought a box of old chisels from a friend, mostly made by Hale Brothers in Sheffield, and amongst them are three skews with the smallest one about a quarter inch wide !

I spent the afternoon shaping up the new deep bowl gouge and putting decent shapes on most of the others. hand grinding is ok but most of the chisels I have acquired had a motley range of bevels and surfaces :)  Now at least they are all to a shape I know and are sharp.

I also acquired a load of timber, some of it for pieces for turning, in holly and box mostly plus some decent beech and oak boards about 5 feet long and of a variety of thickness. I also got a couple of pieces of burr oak which might make nice table tops.

Nigel